This Creamy Parmesan Baked Zucchini recipe is the ultimate vegetarian dinner idea! Fresh zucchini slices are covered with cream sauce and baked until bubbly and golden in this easy comfort food meal.
A Flavor Packed Zucchini Recipe
Two Italian cuisine staples, zucchini and Parmesan cheese, come together in this recipe that’s quick, easy, delicious, and cheesy!
Parmesan baked zucchini is full of creamy and savory flavors! Made with heavy cream, Italian seasoning, garlic, and more, this is by far the tastiest way to serve zucchini. It has everything you love about chicken parm without the meat.
This zucchini bake is easy to throw together, and it cooks in less than 30 minutes. Your group of hungry pals are going to love a bite of our low carb, keto, creamy zucchini casserole!
What’s in Zucchini Parmesan?
- Zucchini: Cut your zucchini into 1/4-inch slices.
- Sour Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Garlic: Finely mince your garlic to distribute its flavor throughout this dish!
- Italian Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Parmesan Baked Zucchini
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat your oven to 425˚F. Butter a 3-quart baking dish and set it aside.
- Salt Zucchini: Sprinkle salt on each 1/4-inch slice of zucchini. Let zucchini slices rest for 15 minutes after salting. (For this part, I lay the zucchini slices on a large baking sheet.) Then, wipe each of the slices with a paper towel to remove the salt.
- Place in Baking Dish: Arrange your zucchini slices in the baking dish and set it aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Make Cream Sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine heavy cream, sour cream, garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Add sour cream mixture to the saucepan and whisk until it starts to bubble.
- Add to Baking Dish: Pour the cream mixture over the zucchini and shake the baking dish to distribute the cream all around the zucchini slices.
- Add Cheese: Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella cheese over the zucchini.
- Bake: Bake until bubbly and the top gets golden brown.
- Let Cool: Remove your dish from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for the Best Baked Zucchini Parmesan
- Let Zucchini Sit After Salting: It’s important to let your zucchini slices rest for 15 minutes after salting them. This will allow the salt to draw moisture from the zucchini.
- Coat Zucchini Slices with Cream: Be sure to toss your zucchini slices in the cream sauce until they’re covered so every bite is full of flavor!
- Garnish: You can garnish this dish with fresh basil to give it a pretty finishing touch.
- Bread: Serve this creamy zucchini casserole with my fluffy Slow Cooker Basil Pesto Bread. It’s great for dipping into the extra cream sauce! 😋
- Corn on the Cob: My Grilled Corn with Herbed Butter tastes amazing with parmesan baked zucchini.
- Chicken: If you eat meat, you have to try serving this dish with these Juicy Garlic Butter Pan Fried Chicken Breasts.
- Pasta: This creamy zucchini recipe also goes well with my easy Olive Pesto Pasta! 👈 so good!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- You can store your leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days if you keep them in an airtight container. To reheat your zucchini, bake it at 350°F until it’s hot and the cheese starts bubbling.
More Zucchini Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Creamy Parmesan Baked Zucchini
- 2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- salt for zucchini
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Butter a baking dish and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini into ¼-inch slices and sprinkle salt on each slice. Let zucchini slices rest for 15 minutes so the salt can draw out the moisture.
- Wipe each of the slices with a paper towel to remove the salt.
- Arrange zucchini slices in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together heavy cream, sour cream, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper, and ½ cup parmesan cheese.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- To the saucepan, add in the heavy cream mixture; whisk and cook until mixture begins to bubble up. WHISK so that the cream does not start to curdle.
- Stir in ½ cup mozzarella; cook for 20 more seconds or until cheese is all melted.
- Pour the cream mixture over the zucchini in the baking dish; shake the baking dish to distribute the cream all around the zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella cheese over the zucchini.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.