Zucchini Tomato Casserole – Layers of baked Zucchini and Tomatoes coated with a creamy, cheesy blend and loaded with flavor! Serve it as a tasty appetizer, side dish, or a delicious vegetarian dinner.
ZUCCHINI TOMATO CASSEROLE
This creamy and savory Zucchini Tomato Casserole is so incredibly simple to make and it’s the perfect way to enjoy your garden’s summer veggies. Throw this in the oven, and 30 minutes later you’ll have a DELICIOUS side, or meal, to enjoy with your family. Or alone! My husband did… 😏
Do you have a garden? I have been gardening together with my parents for the past 7 years – my dad prepares the soil, my mom and I plant – and I can’t describe the amount of excitement and pride that I feel when I see results.
Take for instance this Zucchini Tomato Bake – the zucchinis and tomatoes in this dish all came from our vegetable garden. But, the tomatoes…ohhhh the tomatoes…wow!
To say that they are delicious would be an understatement. Juicy, yet firm, sweet, yet tangy. The perfect balance.
If you don’t like tomatoes, please hop on over to our recipe for Cheesy Zucchini Casserole – it’s really good!
To add, you know you’ve got something good when you all run to the garden, pick a vegetable and eat it right there and then. No washing, cutting, plating.
What’s better is when you prepare something with those vegetables and there are no leftovers. This zucchini casserole was polished off in one sitting.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI TOMATO CASSEROLE
I’ve come to realize that if I want this family to enjoy veggies more often, I must pair those veggies with cheese. Whatever works, eh?
- We start with slicing up around 2 average-sized zucchinis and two large heirloom tomatoes. Slices of both veggies should be around 1/4-inch thick.
- In a 9-inch baking dish layer the zucchini slices and then the tomato slices. In between each layer, sprinkle the tomatoes with fresh basil and garlic. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Combine cream cheese and milk in a bowl and whisk in a pinch of nutmeg, and Italian Seasoning. Add a layer of the cream cheese mixture over the tomatoes and sprinkle with shredded Italian blend cheese or mozzarella cheese. You can use whatever type of shredded cheese you have on hand.
- Continue with one more layer of zucchini and lastly a layer of tomatoes. Spread the remaining layer of cream cheese mixture and add more cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly, browned, and veggies are tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes in room temperature.
- Cut and serve.
This low carb and Keto-friendly Zucchini Tomato Casserole is an easy way to use up and enjoy summer vegetables. Fresh and full of flavor – this is one very delicious and light summer dish.
- Zucchini and tomatoes will release water during baking and that’s completely normal.
- If you don’t want to bother with adding salt, pepper, garlic, and basil in between layers, you can just mix them in with the cream cheese blend.
- For those that like a softer veggie, keep the dish in the oven for an extra 7 to 10 minutes. If you see that it’s browning too much on the top while baking, please loosely cover with foil while continuing to bake.
- Serve this casserole with grilled meat or chicken for a complete meal, or enjoy as a vegetarian dinner.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Store in airtight containers and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Makes for a delicious and quick work lunch!
CAN I FREEZE A ZUCCHINI AND TOMATO CASSEROLE?
- I don’t recommend it because zucchini and tomatoes both release a lot of water and that will affect the taste and texture of the overall dish.
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES
- Tomato and Zucchini Frittata
- 15 Best Zucchini Recipes
- Cheesy Bacon and Corn Stuffed Zucchini
- Creamy Ricotta Zucchini Noodles
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Layers of baked Zucchini and Tomatoes coated with a creamy, cheesy blend and loaded with flavor!
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 average-size zucchinis, sliced (you'll need about 6 to 7 cups of sliced zucchini)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, divided (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 cup Italian Blend Shredded Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up into 1/4-inch slices
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish with a little butter. Set aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese mixture by combining cream cheese, milk, basil, and ground nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Layer half of the zucchini slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of sliced tomatoes over the zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle with half of the garlic and half of the fresh basil.
- Add a layer of HALF of the cream cheese blend over the tomatoes; sprinkle with half of the shredded Italian cheese.
- Repeat one more layer of zucchini slices; add a bit of salt and pepper.
- Repeat one more layer of tomato slices; add the rest of the garlic and fresh basil.
- Spread a layer of the remaining cream cheese mixture and sprinkle the rest of the shredded Italian cheese.
- Dot with slices of butter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly, browned, and veggies are tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
Garnish with fresh basil; cut and serve.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 8
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Store in airtight containers and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.