Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups are made with thin zucchini slices rolled around a delicious ricotta filling, then baked in tomato sauce and topped with cheese. A healthier, low carb lasagna option that’s not only delicious, but also very easy and quick to make.
LOW CARB ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
Zucchini lasagna roll ups are a fun twist on traditional lasagna rolls, and they are certainly welcomed by those that are always watching their carb intake.
Another bonus is that you can make them in much less time than regular lasagna, making this recipe a perfect weeknight meal for the entire family. Kids included! They won’t mind the green veggie that’s all covered up in cheese.
To add, zucchini lasagna rolls are also versatile. You can stuff them with whatever kind of filling you want, including, meat sauce, mushroom and cheese sauce, a chicken filling, or a vegan filling, and so on.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL UPS
We start by whipping out our mandolin and slicing up a bunch of zucchini, lengthwise. If you don’t have a mandolin, please grab a sharpened knife.
Salt the zucchini slices and set them aside while you work on the filling. This step is important for removing the excess water from the zucchini.
Next step is making the ricotta filling, which is a basic lasagna filling that includes ricotta, parmesan, eggs, some garlic, prepared baby spinach, herbs and seasonings.
Finally, you spread the ricotta filling onto a zucchini “lasagna noodle”, roll it up, set in a baking dish over tomato sauce (or marinara sauce), cover in more tomato sauce and cheese, and pop it in the oven to bake.
Your (our) low carb dreams have come true.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL UPS AHEAD OF TIME:
Prepare the zucchini roll ups, set in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and place in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
HOW TO FREEZE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL UPS:
Prepare the zucchini roll ups, set in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw before baking.
To remove excess water, please salt the zucchini slices for about 15 minutes before adding in the filling.
If your zucchini rolls are unrolling, secure the ends with toothpicks.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE LASAGNA RECIPES:
- Eggplant Rollatini
- Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Skillet Vegetable Lasagna
- Spinach and Feta Crock Pot Lasagna
- Lasagna Bolognese
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #diethood on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- 2 to 3 firm zucchini, sliced lengthwise, 1/4-inch thick (you will need 12 slices)
- 1 bag (10 ounces) baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce/marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 9-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Slice the zucchini, lay them flat on a baking sheet or any other flat surface, sprinkle with salt, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add spinach to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted.
- Remove spinach from skillet and let cool for a couple minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine prepared baby spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Lay out the slices of zucchini on a cutting board (or any other working surface), wipe them down, and place a spoonful of the ricotta mixture on top of each zucchini slice.
- Roll up and transfer to the prepared baking dish, seam-side down.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini and ricotta mixture.
- Spoon marinara on top of the zucchini, and sprinkle all over with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly and the zucchini is tender.
- Garnish with basil ribbons.
- To remove excess water, please salt the zucchini slices for about 15 minutes before adding in the filling.
- If your zucchini rolls are unrolling, secure the ends with toothpicks.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.