Easy Taco Beef and Rice Skillet – Ground beef recipe loaded with rice is the ultimate casserole, ready and on the table in around 30 minutes. A ground beef recipe with a delicious kick of taco seasoning and incredible flavors that the whole family will go crazy for! Great for using up leftover rice, or you can just make it from scratch.
GROUND BEEF AND RICE SKILLET
Two comfort foods, taco-flavored ground beef + rice, combined together in just one skillet for one of the best dinner recipes of ever. Well, apart from this Southwestern Taco Skillet recipe packed with beans, corn, and cheese. 🥰
Easy, healthier, and budget friendly beef and rice is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner and makes awesome leftovers for lunch. Eat it straight from the pan, stuff it inside some flour tortillas, or Stuffed Zucchini Boats; you can also layer it over lettuce wraps, or toss it in a salad.
HOW TO MAKE TACO BEEF WITH RICE
This recipe is pretty straight forward; it’s a hearty beef and rice casserole made with veggies and HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING. Yes, you can most definitely use store-bought taco seasoning, but homemade is best. 😉
- First, we start with cooking the onions and peppers.
- Add ground beef; season with taco seasoning and cook until browned. This should take about 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, rice, and beef broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover the skillet with a lid, and continue to cook for 14 to 15 minutes, or until liquid is almost all absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir around with a fork; cover, and let sit for 10 more minutes.
And you’re done!
This recipe does work just as well with any ground meat including, chicken and turkey. I’m sure it works with others, too, but I haven’t tried it myself.
HOW TO MAKE WITH LEFTOVER RICE
If you have leftover cooked rice, you obviously do not need to cook the rice. Therefore, skip the part with adding in the beef broth, but just stir the tomato paste and cooked rice into the browned ground beef, and cook for around 5 minutes, or until everything is heated through.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- DO NOT keep leftovers in room temperature for longer than 2 hours.
- Once the beef and rice have completely cooled, store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a skillet over medium heat. Add a little bit of broth or water when reheating to help loosen the mixture.
MORE GROUND BEEF RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Easy Taco Beef and Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice, uncooked (see notes for preparing this recipe with cooked rice)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- Set a large skillet over high heat and warm the olive oil.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Season with taco seasoning and stir around until well incorporated.
- Cook ground beef for 7 to 8 minutes, or until browned and cooked.
- Stir in the tomato paste and rice; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in beef broth and mix well. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium-low.
- Cover skillet with a lid and continue to cook for about 12 to 14 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir the beef mixture with a fork and cover again.
- Set aside for 10 minutes; keep covered.
- Fluff with a fork and taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.