Southwestern Taco Skillet – The delicious Southwestern flavors of a taco are made quick and easy in this one-skillet recipe! Super quick weeknight meal!
Cheesy, breezy, beautiful taco-food! OR, where I show you that I’m kinda lazy and stuffing food inside taco shells is a chore for me… No. Scratch that. The chopped lettuce and tomatoes are a chore, thus we did none of that here.
Hiiiiiya! I’m a day late on the Taco Tuesday theme, but who’s gunna notice that?! No, but seriously. IF Taco Bell was still part of my life, I’d be there like every day.
…College days, OH HOW I MISS YOUUUU! ♥
But first, real life. Have you ever been in a really awkward situation with a store clerk? One where you thought they would totally get your joke, but they didn’t because they don’t have a humor?
Okay. So. Last week, I was putting in an order for a birthday party, and the late-teen early-twenties clerk asked, “What is the final count, ma’am?” To which I replied with a song, “It’s the final countdoooooown….” ♫♫♫ Expecting the young lady to smile and join in.
Uhmmm, that didn’t happen. She stared at me, thought about calling the cops (I think) AND she had NO CLUE what I was talking about.
One. I looked like a fool. Nothing new there.
But, Two. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT SONG? HOW DO YOU NOT WANT TO JUMP IN AND SING IT WITH ME?! tananana tantanana tananana tantatana na na naaaaaaa! ♫♫♫
Then, I hopped in my car, popped in Kelly Clarkson, and jammed it out! She has nothing to do with the 80’s, I know, but who can resist the Heartbeat Song!! Love IT!
I’m suddenly stuck standing at the corner of Elementary School Street and Preschool Street, with a road coming right through them called After-School Activities Avenue. Only one week into it and I’m screaming for help. Thank the Lawd I know how to do this one-skillet, 30-minute deal. Seriously. Thank you, Jesus!
Apart from that, I don’t have much else to say! HA! Well, other than brown your meat, open up a couple of cans, chop up the tomatoes, and let’s do this!
P.S. Hope you love leftovers because THIS makes a lot of food. Actually, it’s a lot for a fam of 4, but if there’s 6+ in your fam, you’re good to go!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh new content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Southwestern Taco Skillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1- pound 99% fat free ground turkey (I used turkey, but if you like, you can use ground chicken, beef, pork, etc...)
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 can (15-ounces) whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 can (14-ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Taco-Blend Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and ground meat and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Remove from heat, drain and transfer meat to a bowl.
- Return skillet to heat; add corn, tomatoes, brown rice, vegetable broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove cover, stir in beans and cooked meat and continue to cook for 2 more minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is melted.
WW SmartPoints: 7