Taco Bowls – Fun and delicious baked flour tortilla bowls filled with taco-seasoned ground turkey meat, salad, tomatoes, cheese, and topped with a dollop of sour cream!
Hello my pals! How are you doin’? Enjoying summer, I bet!
I spent the last two days near the pool with a Blackberry Mint Julep in one hand, and a fly swatter in the other. Dang flies are everywhere! And bees. I hate them things! Only because their sting hurts. But they’re beautiful AND very useful… as long as they stay far away from me.
But Taco Bowls?! THOSE are the kinds of things that I want to stay near me. Very close to me.
I had some friends over last Tuesday, and when I was thinking about what to serve, my thoughts went toward Taco-Tuesday then moved to salads, and once I put it all together, I came up with these Taco bowls.
These babes come with layers of goodness, from taco-seasoned ground turkey, to finely chopped salad, tomatoes, cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
They’re so, so delicious!
And how about the cute bowls?
These bowls are just 8-inch low-carb flour tortillas stuffed inside a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin and baked to a golden perfection.
While they are in the oven trying to crisp up a bit, we’re going to prepare the taco meat – which takes, like, 7-ish minutes – and then chop up the salad, the tomatoes, and the avocados.
The last thing we have left to do is remove the tacos bowls from the oven and stuff ’em up with all the delicious things that make up a taco.
What’s even better, especially with recipes like this, is that you can add other things and totally customize it to your own taste. More cheese? PLEASE! Jalapenos? Why not?! Salsa? HECK YES!
Just don’t forget the squeeze of lime juice before biting into it. I don’t know. I think there’s nothing better than that initial limey zing when you bite into anything taco-related. Just me?! Ah well. I love it!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 6 (8-inch) low carb whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup low fat fancy shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados diced
- 6 tablespoons lite sour cream
- lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Carefully fit flour tortillas inside the cups of a jumbo 6-cup muffin pan.
- Spray flour tortillas with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, and turkey meat and season with taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir until meat is browned and crumbly, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Divide up the shredded lettuce between 6 previously prepared taco bowls.
- Top with prepared meat, tomatoes, shredded cheese, and avocados.
- Add a dollop of sour cream over each taco bowl and serve with lime wedges.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.