Spinach and Feta Puff Pastry Breakfast Tart Recipe – In just a few minutes of prep time, you can have this ridiculously easy, yet incredibly flavorful golden puff pastry topped with spinach, feta, and eggs. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as an appetizer.
If there was ever a time to face plant into food, this would be IT!
Hello Hello! What is going awn, friends? How are you? Getting sick and tired of all the presidential campaigns, as I am? ‘Cause I’m, like, hating it. I am a news junkie and have A news channel on at all times, but girrrrl. This ongoing bashing of people, that is bashing of the candidates, is quite honestly getting out of hand. I mean, I like a bit of juicy gossip, too, but damn. These guys go too far.
Also? I just did my taxes and, uhm, as a small business owner, I feel like the government took waaaaaaaaaaaay too much from me. :-/ I was cursing up and down, worse than a truck driver. Forgive me, Lord.
Anyhew. Raise your hand if you feel the same? Thanks!
But, in normal life stuff, I made us Spinach and Feta Puff Pastry Breakfast Tarts and they are da bomb diggidy!
Working off of my Roasted Berries Tart, I felt a need to make a savory version because I was craving my forever favorite combo of spinach and feta.
Way back in the day, like we are talking third grade, I had certain snacks that I’d eat after school; ajvar (roasted red pepper relish) on toast, or spinach and feta pie (zelnik). It’s how we roll.
For the reason that I can’t make a darn perfect Zelnik if my life truly depended on it, I always come up with a detour: Chicken Florentine Phyllo Pie & Butternut Squash and Spinach Pie. Thank goodness for those store-bought phyllo sheets.
As I was saying. In trying to avoid rolling out that zelnik, these puff pastry tarts came to life and we loved them. They are super fun for a Mother’s Day Brunch or a fancier breakfast, but might not be 100% practical if you have a crazy busy weekday morning. You can also throw this together on a weeknight and eat it with a side of plain yogurt – complete and utter comfort food.
Soooooo, if you were looking for something different, fun, and suuuuuper delicious, you have found it. Hit “print”, pick up those 5 ingredients and get to cookin’.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1 sheet puff pastry , thawed
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bag (8 ounces) baby spinach
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled fat free feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- plain yogurt , for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, lightly roll out the puff pastry to approximately 11x11.
- Cut in half.
- Transfer to previously lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet; add spinach and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Stir frequently.
- Stir in the crumbled feta and continue to cook for 30 seconds; remove from heat and set aside.
- Take the puff pastry out of the oven and using a fork or a spoon, deflate the center of the puff pastry, leaving about a 1-1/2 inch puffed-up border on all sides.
- Divide up the filling and add it to the center of both pastries.
- Make a well in the center of the filling and crack an egg inside of the well.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the puff pastry is a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Cut each pastry into 4 wedges.
- Serve with a side of plain yogurt.
WW Smart Points: 7
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy