Turkey Meatballs Pita Pockets with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce – Juicy and delicious turkey meatballs served in warm pita pockets filled with a garlicky cucumber sauce and topped with a tomatoes and feta cheese salad.
I meeeeaaaan… do you want a bite of that or do YOU want a bite of THAT?!
You guys! HI!! *waving* Happy Sunday and a very happy start to April!
I feel like it’s been 4EVA since we talked about sandwiches. Or burgers, or pita pockets.
I’ve had a bunch of sandwich/salad recipes going through my head lately, and I think it’s because I’m mentally, emotionally and physically super ready for summer and summery foods. I am done with that Cabbage Soup for now, and the Crock Pot all the things. Come October, those recipes will be back on repeat, but not today. Not for a while.
WHAT IS TARATUR
I honestly just want to cannonball into that bowl of Taratur, a.k.a. cucumber garlic yogurt sauce. And, NO, it’s not Tzatziki… it’s Taratur. The diff? Tzatziki is as thick as a spread, whereas Taratur is thinner and can be eaten like soup. Traditional Taratur also includes walnuts. Get that rad recipe right here ➡ Chicken Skewers with Cucumber-Garlic Yogurt Sauce.
TURKEY MEATBALLS PITA POCKETS
Ok. SO! These pita pockets almost didn’t get filled with Taratur because I didn’t even think of it until we sat down to eat ’em. Heck, I wasn’t even going to share the recipe on here, but after a few bites, I knew what needed to happen:
A) Yogurt Sauce
B) SHARE on zee bloggy!
They’re so incredible and rich and delicious and healthy, too. The meatballs are prepared with turkey meat and they’re also baked. The pitas are whole wheat, the yogurt is nonfat, and the feta cheese is fat-free IF you want it to be.
GUYS. If you want something different for dinner, make these pita pockets. If you want something amazing for lunch, make these pita pockets. IFFFF you want something awesome to share with your friends and family, MAKE THESE PITA POCKETS. Mmmmkay? Cool.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1- pound ground turkey , lean 97% fat free
- 1/2- cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper , or to taste
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup finely diced english cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1 small yellow onion , sliced
- salt and pepper , to taste
- extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar , to taste
- Whole Wheat Pita Pockets
- crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet; grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, panko crumbs, egg, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic and oregano.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix until well combined and thoroughly incorporated.
- Shape mixture into 2-inch balls and place on previously prepared baking sheet. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place cucumbers and minced garlic in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil; mix it all together.
- Stir in the yogurt until thoroughly incorporated.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, oil, and vinegar to the mixture; toss and mix until well blended. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Warm up the pita pockets.
- Open the pita pockets and spread about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce on the inside of each pita.
- Place 3 to 4 meatballs in each pita pocket.
- Top with prepared salad and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
WW SMART POINTS: 9
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy