A delicious pan-roasted mixture of butternut squash and spinach nestled between buttery and flaky phyllo sheets.
Hi! Happy Sunday! I hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving weekend!!
Are your tummies still full?! Are your leftovers all gone?! Are YOU still having pumpkin pie for breakfast?! That’s the best part!!
Well, I hope you aren’t too full because I’ve got some mad-delicious stuff coming at you today – it’s this Butternut Squash and Spinach Pie! It’s SO awesome!
By the way, if you hadn’t noticed, allow me to say; Welcome to the land of I’ve got spinach and I’ll find a way to use it! With a healthy toss of feta cheese for good measure. I’m cray cray for spinach. I have it on hand at all times; fresh, canned, frozen… I make sure that I will never run out.
You know what else? I just figured this out. If I could have been a professional one-pot meal makerrrr… ummmm… I guess I would have been a professional one-pot meal maker!
That didn’t go over as easy as it should have… I thought I was going to come up with the punch line as I was typing it, but nope. I’m drawing a blank.
Who doesn’t love a one-pot meal?! Of course you do, except that you’ll kinda need two pots for this, unless you are cooler than I and your baking pot/dish/pan is one of those from stove-top-to-oven-to-table thingamajigger. Lucky!
This was supposed to be another spinach and feta concoction, but because I HATE wasting food, that little squash sitting on my kitchen counter had to be thrown in there. I wasn’t sure if anyone in this household would go for it, and because I think everything I make is damn awesome (biased, I know), I was skeptical about posting it here. However, all that changed when my 35-year old kid… ahem, husband… was all over this dish! The pickiest person on Earth somehow planted his face in this beautiful mess and couldn’t stop eating it. Fist pump!!
Also?! Don’t judge, but I used canned spinach for this. I kept the good and fresh stuff for my salads. Yes, I said salads. I’m going on a let’s-lose-5-pounds-before-the-next-holiday-dinner-party DIET so we can fit into our New Year’s Eve dresses! Good plan, right?
One more thing. How many exclamation points and question marks do I use in one post!?! Geeeez! I just noticed that!! *wink*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash , halved, seeded, sliced into half-moon rounds
- 2 yellow onions , each onion cut into 6 wedges
- kosher salt and fresh pepper , to taste
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 2 cans (13.5-ounces each) spinach, well drained, pat dry with paper towel
- 3 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- butter for dish
- 20 phyllo sheets , thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter a 13x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and butternut squash.
- Season with salt and pepper and add thyme.
- Lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Remove lid and discard thyme sprigs.
- Add garlic.
- Stir in spinach and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime combine beaten eggs, nutmeg and feta cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Remove squash mixture from heat and taste for salt and pepper; adjust accordingly and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg mixture; set aside.
- Unfold phyllo sheets.
- Place a phyllo sheet in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Top with nine more sheets, brushing each sheet with melted butter before adding the next.
- As you work, keep the unused stack of phyllo sheets covered so they don't dry up.
- Spread squash and spinach mixture over phyllo in dish.
- Top with remaining 10 phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with melted butter, including the top sheet.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is browned and flaky.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve.
WW SmartPoints: 18
Looking for more spinach-inspired recipes? See below!
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy