This easy Spinach, Feta, and Potato Au Gratin recipe is my comfort food. A simple potato casserole recipe that’s perfect for anytime.
Easy Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin
…Or, as we would call it, Vegetarian Moussaka.
I have so much to say today, yet I am speechless.
How could this happen? How could a human being wake up one day and say to himself, “I’m going to go and take the lives of 20 children today. And a few adults to go with them… yeah, I’m gonna go do that…”
Blame it on mental illness, blame it on the guns, blame it on society. You know what? I don’t know who to blame. Do I blame his parents for his upbringing? Do I blame the 2nd Amendment? Where can I point my finger? I want to feel safe when I send my kids to school! They are supposed to be taken care of while they are there, away from me.
I can’t imagine what the parents and families in Newtown are going through… I just can’t.
I want to say, I am sorry… I am a parent and this is my nightmare, as it was yours as well… I don’t want my nightmares to become a reality. Nightmares are supposed to stay in the back of your mind, stashed away and to never be seen by your eyes. But, unfortunately, this nightmare became a reality for 26 families… I am so saddened. My heart is breaking.
I can’t stop hugging Ana and Aleksandra. Ana is getting frustrated with me because I keep kissing her, but I don’t care. She can scream all she wants. There’s one too many moms wishing they could do the same, but their last kiss was on Friday morning. That’s just not fair…
I chose to share this Spinach, Feta and Potato Gratin with you because when things don’t feel right, I make something that I know will bring the whole family to the dinner table. Moussaka, or Мусака, is one of those meals. Usually we make it with ground beef, but this time around I wanted something a bit more cheesy. And green.
…Please hug your kids, tell them you love them, and enjoy your family today. I know I am.
Spinach, Feta, and Potatoes Au Gratin
- butter , room temperature, for baking dish
- 5-6 medium-sized red potatoes , washed, peeled, and sliced 1/8-inch thick, divided
- 4 bags (10-ounces) fresh baby spinach OR 3 cans (13.5-ounces) spinach, washed and drained, dry with paper towel SEE NOTES FOR DIRECTIONS ON USING FRESH SPINACH
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub a 13x9 baking dish with butter.
- Layer half of the potato slices in dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spread the spinach on top of the potato slices.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese over the spinach
- Layer the rest of the potato slices on top.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream mixture into dish to cover potatoes; cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until top of gratin is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.