This easy Spinach, Feta, and Potato Au Gratin recipe is my comfort food. A simple potato casserole recipe that’s perfect for anytime.
Easy Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin
…Or, as we would call it, Vegetarian Moussaka.
I have so much to say today, yet I am speechless.
How could this happen? How could a human being wake up one day and say to himself, “I’m going to go and take the lives of 20 children today. And a few adults to go with them… yeah, I’m gonna go do that…”
Blame it on mental illness, blame it on the guns, blame it on society. You know what? I don’t know who to blame. Do I blame his parents for his upbringing? Do I blame the 2nd Amendment? Where can I point my finger? I want to feel safe when I send my kids to school! They are supposed to be taken care of while they are there, away from me.
I can’t imagine what the parents and families in Newtown are going through… I just can’t.
I want to say, I am sorry… I am a parent and this is my nightmare, as it was yours as well… I don’t want my nightmares to become a reality. Nightmares are supposed to stay in the back of your mind, stashed away and to never be seen by your eyes. But, unfortunately, this nightmare became a reality for 26 families… I am so saddened. My heart is breaking.
I can’t stop hugging Ana and Aleksandra. Ana is getting frustrated with me because I keep kissing her, but I don’t care. She can scream all she wants. There’s one too many moms wishing they could do the same, but their last kiss was on Friday morning. That’s just not fair…
I chose to share this Spinach, Feta and Potato Gratin with you because when things don’t feel right, I make something that I know will bring the whole family to the dinner table. Moussaka, or Мусака, is one of those meals. Usually we make it with ground beef, but this time around I wanted something a bit more cheesy. And green.
…Please hug your kids, tell them you love them, and enjoy your family today. I know I am.
Spinach, Feta, and Potatoes Au Gratin
- butter , room temperature, for baking dish
- 5-6 medium-sized red potatoes , washed, peeled, and sliced 1/8-inch thick, divided
- 4 bags (10-ounces) fresh baby spinach OR 3 cans (13.5-ounces) spinach, washed and drained, dry with paper towel SEE NOTES FOR DIRECTIONS ON USING FRESH SPINACH
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub a 13x9 baking dish with butter.
- Layer half of the potato slices in dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spread the spinach on top of the potato slices.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese over the spinach
- Layer the rest of the potato slices on top.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream mixture into dish to cover potatoes; cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until top of gratin is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before cutting and serving.