Skillet Chicken in White Wine Sauce – Quick and easy skillet seared chicken topped with a creamy garlic and onions white wine sauce that’s sure to please any crowd!
This super easy, one pan skillet chicken bathed in an incredible white wine sauce is a must-try, must-have-NOW meal! It truly is a restaurant-quality dinner that’s so quick to make and in just one skillet.
Friends, guess what I’m serving up for Easter? YEPPERS: the menu includes my Balsamic Braised Lamb Shanks for the lamb-lovahs, and this Skillet Chicken in White Wine Sauce for the lamb-haters. 😒
This simple to prepare recipe has a very dang amazing tasty sauce, and the chicken is wonderfully tender. I like to serve it over rice, especially my really good Lemon Rice, with a side of a big green salad.
⬆ About that white wine sauce, tho… 😍
Before making the amazing sauce, you’ll first want to pan sear some chicken breasts.
HOW TO MAKE SKILLET SEARED CHICKEN BREASTS?
- Pour enough olive oil into a skillet to generously coat the bottom.
- Heat over medium heat until the oil shimmers, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pan and do not move the chicken around; let it cook for about 6 minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, flip the chicken and cook for an additional 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate and cover.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A CREAMY WHITE WINE SAUCE?
(Scroll down to the recipe box to get the RECIPE in its entirety)
- We will need butter, onions, garlic, wine, cream, herbs and seasonings.
- In the same skillet that you used to prepare the chicken, you will fry the onion and garlic in melted butter.
- Add the wine and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the wine has reduced.
- Add the cream and herbs.
- Reduce heat to slowly bring to a boil; place chicken breasts back in the skillet and leave to simmer and thicken for about 5 minutes.
If you can’t/don’t want to use wine, please reach for some apple juice.
Full transparency: This recipe was actually my attempt at trying to stay true to a classic romantic dinner recipe, all while making it into an easy weeknight meal for everyone. I think I succeeded and am looking forward to serving it on Easter.
MORE SKILLET CHICKEN RECIPES:
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Quick and easy skillet seared chicken topped with a creamy garlic and onions white wine sauce that’s sure to please any crowd!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup half and half/heavy cream/or evaporated milk
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the oil shimmers, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. DO NOT move it around.
- Using tongs, flip the chicken over and continue to cook for 6 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet to a plate; cover and set aside.
- DO NOT wipe the skillet.
- Add butter to skillet and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in garlic, salt, and pepper; cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add wine and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet to mix the brown bits into the liquid; cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, or until half of the wine has reduced.
- Stir in thyme and half-and-half.
- Reduce heat to slowly bring to a boil; place chicken breasts back in the skillet and leave to simmer and thicken for about 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
WW FREESTYLE SMART POINTS: 4