Grilled Asparagus Recipe – Grilled spears of fresh asparagus prepared with just a few ingredients, plus a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.
This quick and very easy recipe for grilled asparagus is the perfect Summer side dish! I paired it with our Grilled Chicken Thighs and got rave reviews from everyone. Tender, with a delicious smoky flavor, grilled asparagus makes a perfect side for grilled meats.
Truth be told, we really like asparagus. From Bacon Wrapped Asparagus to Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Cheese, it happens to be way at the top of our favorite green veggies. This simple, yet delicious and healthy vegetable can be prepared in no time in the oven or on the grill with very few ingredients.
Before grilling, I only toss them in some olive oil with salt and pepper, and after they’re done, I like to add a bit of lemon juice and some parmesan cheese.
HOW TO GRILL ASPARAGUS
Thicker asparagus spears are best for grilling because they will not fall through the cracks on the grates. However, you can also use a skewer to thread all the asparagus spears onto it. Just run one metal skewer through the middle part of the asparagus spears. This will also help with flipping over, as well as keeping them all together on the grates.
Grill over direct heat and grill asparagus only after everything else is off the grill. That means, do not cook the asparagus until you’ve finished cooking all the other meat. Asparagus cooks much faster, and it will be done just in time to serve together with all your other grilled foods.
Depending on the thickness, asparagus on the grill will need to initially cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until grill marks appear. You will then flip the asparagus and continue cooking for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender.
The result is a smoky, crisp-tender, charred asparagus that you won’t want to stop eating. A squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese takes them over the top.
MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES
- Asparagus Phyllo Bundles Recipe
- Pan Roasted Asparagus Almondine
- Asparagus with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Roasted Garlic and Asparagus Soup
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Grilled spears of fresh asparagus prepared with just a few ingredients, plus a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 1 pound asparagus spears rinsed, trimmed, and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 small lemon, optional
- 2 tablespoons, or to taste, grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat an outdoor grill to high, about 450F.
- Place the asparagus in a mixing bowl or baking dish and toss with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer prepared asparagus to the grill and set over direct heat.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until grill marks appear.
- Flip and continue to cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from grill and transfer to a serving platter.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the asparagus spears and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 3
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy