Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Cheese is made with just a few simple ingredients, PLUS bacon and cheese! This easy and healthy recipe makes for a delicious side dish with any meal!
If this roasted asparagus with cheese and bacon made your day, then you’ll also want to try these Cheesy Grilled Asparagus in Foil Packs and these Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze. So much cheese and bacon!
The Best Asparagus Recipe To Make During Spring
Garlic Roasted Asparagus is a fantastic springtime veggie dish that everyone will absolutely love. Starting with the bacon and cheese.
That title up there was supposed to read GRILLED ASPARAGUS. However, Mother Nature had her own plans (and she never asks if her plans will inconvenience others), thus, I present to you ROASTED Asparagus with Bacon and Cheese.
Asparagus is a popular vegetable that is often served as a side dish. It has a delicate, slightly sweet flavor and a tender, crisp texture that makes it a great accompaniment to many different main dishes. Asparagus is also a healthy choice, as it is low in calories and high in nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and K.
It can be roasted, grilled, and steamed, and asparagus pairs well with a variety of proteins, including chicken, beef, pork, seafood, and tofu. It also goes well with many different seasonings and flavorings, such as garlic, lemon juice, herbs, and cheese.
You can also serve asparagus on its own with a sauce or dip, such as hollandaise: check-it 👉 Oven Roasted Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce.
How To Make Oven Roasted Asparagus
- First, you want to wash the asparagus. Then, trim the asparagus by snapping the stem up at the point where it is most tender.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and add minced garlic.
- Next, you will want to roast the asparagus for about 15 minutes in the hot oven.
- While the asparagus is roasting, prepare the bacon, shredded cheeses, and crumbled feta cheese.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the cheese over the asparagus and bake for a few more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Add bacon pieces over the roasted cheesy asparagus and serve!
How To Serve Asparagus
- Asparagus salad: You can serve asparagus as a cold salad. Cut it into bite-sized pieces, then toss it with your choice of dressing and any other ingredients you like (such as cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, or olives). May I suggest my Spring Vegetable Potato Salad?
- Asparagus soup: Asparagus can also be used to make a delicious soup. Simply roast the asparagus until it is tender, then puree it in a blender with chicken or vegetable broth and any other ingredients you like (such as cream, garlic, or herbs).
Feta cheese and bacon are both delicious additions to asparagus. In other news, if I could eat and live on bacon and feta, I would. I use the combo in every situation possible. I could enjoy tofu if these two rock stars were placed over it. That might diminish the healthy deal about tofu, but it’s all about compromise.
Until then, I hope you can enjoy this cheesy, bacony, Garlic Roasted Asparagus – it’s so darn delicious!
Isn’t that such a beauty up there?! I love it!
More Easy Asparagus Recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze
- Asparagus Phyllo Bundles Recipe
- Asparagus with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Pan Roasted Asparagus Almondine
Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Cheese
- 1 pound asparagus spears, washed, dried, and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and add minced garlic, salt, and pepper; toss around to combine.
- Cook the asparagus for about 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon in a skillet to a desired crispness.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate; drain, then crumble. Set aside.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place asparagus back in the oven and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle bacon over asparagus.
- Asparagus: Look for asparagus with firm, smooth stalks. Avoid asparagus with wilted or yellowing tips or stalks that are woody or wrinkled.
- Trim the ends: Asparagus has a woody end that is tough and fibrous. To remove it, hold the asparagus spear by the ends and gently bend it until it snaps. The asparagus will naturally break where the woody part ends, and the tender part begins. Discard the woody ends.
- Use high heat: Asparagus cooks best at high heat, so it’s important to preheat your oven, grill, or pan before adding the asparagus. This will help the asparagus cook quickly and prevent it from becoming soggy or mushy.
- Season it well: Asparagus tastes best when it is well-seasoned.
- Don’t overcook it: Asparagus should be tender but crisp when cooked. To test for doneness, insert a sharp knife into the thickest part of the stalk. If it goes in easily, the asparagus is done. If there’s resistance, it needs a few more minutes of cooking.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
48 comments on “Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Cheese”
I am sooo making this today. I will do it on my R2D2 and grilling grate. I did squash and Portebellos last night and they were delish. Thanks for the great idea. Warm weather to ya!
I miss grilling too 🙂 Your asparagus looks delicious and bacon and feta make everything so much better 😛 love it!!!
My mouth is literally watering…everything’s better with bacon!
I love this dish, the flavors are perfect, furthermore i love feta cheese! And with bacon and asparagus… a delight!!
I don’t know what is up with the weather this year .. it’s super sunny one day and the next day I have to turn on the heater at home! Asparagus are such delicious vegetable .. you eat it roast or grill or blanch they taste awsm all the time 🙂
LOVE asparagus and even more on the barby. Sounds great with the bacon and feta too. Oh come on…put on a coat and go out there to grill. I know a few hardcore BBQers who do it in the middle of the Canadian winter occasionally lol.
Michigan weather is just as crazy. Mother Nature hasn’t looked at her calendar yet. Grilled or roasted this is a really good recipe and it’s loaded with bacon and cheese. Yippee!!!
yum! what a great way to jazz up some roasted asparagus!
I was in Chicago for the weekend…oh, boy, was it COLD and WET! Yikes. So I certainly understand it wasn’t grilling weather. But your asparagus still looks fabulous…I love it roasted and I’m glad to have a new recipe to try 🙂
Mmm, feta makes everything better ! And bacon too ! So double, or better yet, triple deliciousness !
Hi Kate, my award from last week is back on! Please come and check it out: http://cookingitalianinthemidwest.blogspot.com/2011/05/roasted-tomato-pasta.html
Hopefully blogger won’t crash this time!
I’m with you on the feta and bacon, but I’m still trying to get myself to like asparagus. Seriously, I like almost all veggies, but there’s just something about the texture of asparagus that I just don’t love yet. It looks really good, though! And so do your hostas. Our hostas look like little babies compared to yours – maybe next summer mine will grow up!
I love this! I’d use veggie bacon of course 😀 … but the soft feta, crunchy-roasted asparagus and salty bacon? Um, yes please!
I’ve never seen asparagus look so good. Nor have I ever seen a grill that looks like R2D2. It kind of makes you feel sorry for him being out in the cold 🙁
Oh my goodness does this look good. Asparagus is such a wonderful part of spring and summer, and you can never go wrong with bacon and cheese. Thank you for this recipe!
Darn spring and her fickle-ness! We have asparagus coming out of our ears and lots of rain so this recipe is perfect! Also, your grill totally looks like r2d2, just so you know.
This recipe might get my kids to eat asparagus 🙂 I don’t eat meat but I could certainly devour the rest…looks fantastic! Sorry about your grilling plans, but looks like it turned out beautifully 🙂
Kate, you’re funny, but since you mention it, the grill does look a bit like R2D2, LOL!
I love asparagus roasted OR grilled but I’m with you, warmer weather is long overdue. It was like summer here a week or so ago and now I’m sitting by the fireplace. Weird, huh?
I love your addition of bacon and crumbled feta. A few of my favorite things in one dish. 🙂
This weather is so unpredictable, I’m not surprised you had to improvise :/ But omg, bacon & feta… delish combo!! Asparagus usually doesn’t do much for me but I’m sure this really spices it up!
I love this idea! I’m definitely making this. 🙂
You do with mother nature would be a little more considerate it’s true. I’ll have to post about my mother-in-laws 80th birthday one day. Mother nature and I went to the mattresses! i think I made my feelings clear about feta on your baked feat post, and now you add bacon! How many “yums” can describe this?!?!?! YUM!!
Haha, your grill does look like R2D2! And the asparagus look great! I usually top my roasted asparagus with a fried egg, but will def try topping with bacon and feta next time!
Yumm. I have just (with in the last year) discovered the yummy-ness that is asparagus. Then add cheese and bacon…..heaven!!!! Great recipe.
Mmmmm, grilled or not, these look amazing! I have a tendency to eat every single stalk of asparagus (that doesn’t get accounted for by other people quickly) that I make, no matter how I make them. These would not last long in front of me, and I’d have a hard time sharing. 🙂
If you can send the rain our way – I’d be so grateful! Your asparagus looks awesome and who doesn’t love feta and bacon – oh my! I’m sure you’ll be able to fire up R2D2 soon!
Can ou believe that my husband I don’t own a grill? Sigh. Someday I hope! This looks so good I could eat it right off the screen!
Your asparagus looks soo good, especially with the bacon. it rained here, too. We made sauteed asparagus with lemon and garlic, olive oil, and butter over linguine. Next time we’ll add the bacon and feta! thanks for the idea!
Oh honey, asparagus never looked so good! Bacon really is magical. 😉
Looks delicious! Our plans for the grill were dashed as well. The weather just can’t make up its mind right now!
Yum! I’m looking forward to making an asparagus side dish tonight for dinner!
Looks delicious! I’ve been looking for recipes with asparagus to start making some (which both my husband and I would approve ;)) and this one with its bacon and feta looks just perfect!
PS: I completely forgot. And yup, your grill does look like R2D2, that’s pretty cool! 🙂
What a great dish, Kate! My husband and I went for tapas on Saturday and got something very similar (speck wrapped asparagus) but I think they were missing something. I know now what that is! I’m finally catching up with blogs and am so happy to hear Anita only had a bad flu.
The perfect spring dish! I love adding feta to anything. It really pumps up any recipe.
Kate, isn’t it frustrating if you’re in shorts one minute and the cold wind the next? Same here! I’ve got tons of asparagus from the market and I think you’re idea of roasting them is just perfect for our dindins tonight. Looks so good!
asparagus are the best 😀
This asparagus looks easier than the bacon wrapped recipe I’ve had my eye on. As far as grilling goes….It wasn’t until a few years ago, that I learned grilling was not a year round method of cooking. I had taken a “grilled” meal to a new mom and she later she called me and asked me how I prepared the meat, she mockingly said, “did you grill it?” I said yes and she didn’t believe me. We lived in Michigan at the time and it was the DEAD of winter which could mean 4 ft of snow, ice and below freezing…and sure it takes a little bit to keep the grill hot, but I managed. I happily grill all year round, just give me a parka and boots…and I’m good to go. 🙂
Looks tempting for sure!:) Great pictures!!!
Mmm, Kate, you will always have my heart 🙂 This looks wonderful! I’m sorry to hear about the weather, though. We actually got RAIN this morning in Southern California! NUTS! And it’ll be quite chilly over the next couple of days. So odd!
Asparagus in a oven or grill, well they are always just amazing!!!! I think asparagus grilled is just heavenly:-) Beautiful pictures!
Hi Kate-Your roasted asparagus with the feta and bacon is so amazing, that it’s a perfect entree for such hot days, especially here in S. Florida.
Coincidence, that I also made asparagus for dinner as a side dish, but I grilled it in a cast iron skillet, which really turned out great, sprinkled with balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
For sure, next time I will make it your way. Love it:DDD
BTW-I will add your blog on my blog roll list since you don’t have the Google friends follow. This way I can click on your blog to come back again. Love your blog!
Asparagus is my favorite vegetable and I love to eat it roasted with olive oil and salt. I have never had feta cheese on it before; I can’t wait to try this recipe.
Yum!! Kate these veggies look great- I love feta, ok and bacon too. LOL I will definately have to try this- Oooh I just bought some asparagus at the farmers market. YAY!
I know….what’s up with that? I took all my winter clothes to dry clean and was all ready for the beach. But being in California I can’t complain too much my winter was nothing compared with East coast. Anyway….grill or not asparagus looks delicious. And paired with bacon and feta, yummmmmm…
I’m sorry you weren’t able to grill, but this dish still looks amazing! I love the addition of the bacon and feta too. Yum!
Same here sister! It was in the ’90’s on Wednesday here, and today barely made it to 60. I’m having the same grill woes. Asparagus looks amazing!
I’m an asparagus fiend and this is a great twist on it – i’m almost glad you couldn’t grill! I’ll have to give it a try.
BTW, your photos are looking great, Kate!
Hi Kate! What a great addition to the asparagus! I have added bacon to the asparagus but not the feta cheese. Next time I’ll add it for sure. Thanks for the wonderful idea! 🙂