Creamy Asparagus Soup – Fresh, healthy and delicious asparagus soup prepared with just 6 ingredients!
30-minute Asparagus Soup that’s absolutely delicious and so easy to make!
Looking for the perfect fresh and light soup? Creamy Asparagus Soup is exactly the one and only way to use up fresh asparagus. This soup is prepared with only a handful of ingredients, and it makes for a delicious lunch, but also a beautiful start to a wonderful dinner.
Not only is asparagus delicious, but it’s also packed full of nutrients, a good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E, and K. 🙌
Clearly, Asparagus Soup is healthy, but also gluten free, low carb, Keto-friendly, and really, really good! 😍
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS SOUP
Here, we are going to cook the asparagus with onions until tender and then puree the entire thing into a smooth and silky soup. Heavy cream and lemon juice are added to make it rich, bright, creamy, and full of fresh flavor.
- Start with trimming the asparagus and cutting each asparagus stalk into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat up oil and butter in a Dutch oven or stockpot and add in the onions.
- Stir in the prepared asparagus and season with salt and pepper; let cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and continue to cook for 12 to 14 minutes, or until asparagus is soft.
- Next, you will want to reach for an immersion blender to puree the soup. You can also use a regular blender, but blend the soup in batches.
- Once soup is completely pureed and smooth, put it back in the pot and set over medium heat. Whisk in heavy cream until blended. Then, whisk in couple tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Now, for the important part; taste test. This soup doesn’t rely on a lot of seasonings, and for that reason, you will most likely need to add more salt and pepper. Even lemon juice.
- Once you’re happy with the taste, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve.
I think this soup would also be great with a garnish of fresh chopped chives, diced crispy bacon, or flavored croutons. A swirl of sour cream wouldn’t hurt, either.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Store Asparagus Soup in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
CAN I FREEZE ASPARAGUS SOUP
- This soup is cream based, and for that reason it won’t freeze well. If you intend to make a batch for the freezer, make the soup without the cream, and add the cream only after reheating it.
MORE ASPARAGUS RECIPES
- Roasted Garlic and Asparagus Soup
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe
- Asparagus with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Creamy Asparagus Pasta
30-minute Asparagus Soup that's absolutely delicious and so easy to make!
- 2 pounds green asparagus stalks
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Trim asparagus by snapping off the tough ends. Discard ends.
Cut stalks of asparagus into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
Heat up 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 4-quart, or bigger, Dutch oven or soup pot.
Stir in onions and cook for 1 minute.
Add asparagus pieces; stir in minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and continue to cook for 12 to 14 minutes, or until asparagus is soft.
Remove lid and puree soup with an immersion blender, OR, purée soup in batches in a regular blender until completely smooth.
Pour blended soup back into the pot and set over medium-high heat.
Whisk in heavy cream and lemon juice.
Bring soup to a slow boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon of butter.
Remove from heat; taste soup and adjust accordingly.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve.