Bacon Eggs and Asparagus Salad – A delicious combination of a simple salad with asparagus, hard boiled eggs and bacon, tossed with a Dijon vinaigrette.
Note to self: Check your scheduled posts for the week before they go live.
I now have two asparagus with bacon recipes in one week…oops! My apologies. Hope you don’t mind.
But both recipes are very different; the first one I posted this week was completely my own, while this Bacon and Eggs and Asparagus Salad is Dorie’s. And mine was all about the cheese, while this one is all about the egg. Look at it:
Isn’t that such a beautiful salad? I’d be so happy to serve this at our next dinner party. It looks amazing, it tastes heavenly, and it’s done in a snap.
This salad includes a perfectly soft-boiled egg, cooked asparagus, crunchy bacon, toasted hazelnuts, and a delicious vinaigrette made with dijon mustard and sherry vinegar, among other things.
The hardest thing about this salad was making sure that I get a runny egg yolk. Do you think I succeeded? Lets see:
Nonetheless, I was a happy camper.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pound asparagus spears, ends trimmed off
- 6 strips bacon
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon sherry vinegar (rice vinegar is a good substitute)
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil.
Add the eggs, one by one, and allow the eggs to boil for 7 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat; lift the eggs into a strainer, and run under cold water to cool them quickly.
- Fill the pan with cold water, put the eggs back in it, and let stand until ready to use.
- Bring a large skillet of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes, or until you can pierce the spears with the tip of a knife.
- Transfer asparagus to a paper towel lined plate; pat them dry. Set aside.
- Add bacon strips to a skillet and cook over medium-low heat, turning as needed, until the bacon is golden and crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate; let stand a minute, or until cooled enough to handle. Chop it into bits.
Assemble the salad starting with the greens; add the asparagus, bacon, tomatoes, onions, and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Peel the eggs; cut them in half and add to the salad.
Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a lid; shake vigorously until all ingredients are incorporated. Taste and adjust.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 11