This easy Bacon, Egg, and Asparagus Salad is a delightful combination of simple salad greens topped with asparagus, hard-boiled eggs, and bacon. A tangy Dijon vinaigrette finishes it off. Enjoy for lunch, dinner, or as a starter at your next dinner party.
Easy Bacon Eggs and Asparagus Salad
Looking for a new way to enjoy asparagus? You have to try this asparagus salad recipe! It’s easy to prepare and tastes heavenly, plus it makes the perfect meal for those hot days when you don’t want to really cook.
I’m a huge fan of a good salad, especially in the summer, and this asparagus salad is one of my all-time favorites. There is something so satisfying about the mixture of bacon + eggs, and asparagus over a bed of lettuce sprinkled with feta cheese and topped with Dijon vinaigrette. Each bite is an explosion of flavor and just SO good!
If you’re looking for another way to use up fresh asparagus, don’t miss my easy asparagus soup. I make that almost as much as I make this salad!
Why You’ll Love This Salad
Need some more convincing? Here are a few reasons why this asparagus salad just plain rocks.
- Healthy and filling. This salad is packed with nutrients and protein, so it’s both filling and healthy. It makes a great lunch to fuel the rest of your day.
- Bursting with flavor. The Dijon vinaigrette really takes this salad over the top, flavor-wise, and the feta adds a nice tang too.
- Easy to prep in advance. The parts of this recipe that actually take time, like boiling the eggs and cooking the bacon, can easily be done in advance. More on that below.
What You’ll Need
One thing I love about this recipe? No hard-to-find ingredients, just simple, whole foods…and bacon!
- Asparagus – Be sure to choose asparagus that is firm to the touch with tips that are tightly closed. You’ll need to remove the woody ends as well.
- Bacon – Regular bacon works just fine, though thick-cut works too. (It’ll just take longer to prepare!)
- Mixed salad greens – Because I like to keep things simple, I just use a bag of mixed salad greens. But feel free to use your favorite lettuce, kale, spinach, etc.
- Toppings – I like to top my asparagus salad with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and red onions but feel free to customize!
- Olive oil – The base of the vinaigrette.
- Sherry vinegar – Adds some tang to the vinaigrette.
- Dijon mustard – I love the tangy bite that Dijon adds to both the vinaigrette and the salad.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
Can I Use A Different Dressing?
I am all about ease of preparation, so if you need to use your favorite store bought dressing, go right ahead. Classic oil and vinegar will work in a pinch too and a lemon vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette would be nice alternatives too.
How To Make Bacon Eggs and Asparagus Salad
Here’s how to prepare and assemble this easy asparagus salad recipe. See below for notes on making some parts in advance to save on time!
- Boil the eggs. Bring a saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil, then add the eggs. Boil for 7 minutes, then lift the eggs into a strainer and run under water to cool quickly. Fill the pan with cold water, return the eggs to the pan, and set aside. Note that I like my eggs with a soft yolk for this salad, so if you prefer a hard yolk, add a few minutes to the boil time.
- Cook the bacon. Cook the bacon over medium-low until golden and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and cool. Crumble with your hands or a knife.
- Cook the asparagus. Bring a skillet of salted water to a boil, then add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes. You should be able to easily pierce the spears with a knife. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Assemble the salad. Arrange the mixed greens on a serving plate or in a salad bowl. Add the asparagus, bacon, and other toppings. Peel the eggs, cut them in half, and place on top of the salad.
- Add the vinaigrette. Combine all of the Dijon vinaigrette ingredients in a jar. Shake to blend, then pour over the salad.
- Enjoy. Gently toss to combine and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips for making this asparagus salad, as well as some easy variations.
- Be careful not to overcook the asparagus. It should take just 4 minutes or so for the asparagus to cook. It should be tender but firm, not soft and mushy.
- Experiment with different toppings. Feel free to add or omit toppings as desired. Other flavors that pair well with asparagus include peas and radish. You could also swap the bacon for grilled chicken or salmon.
- Make it vegetarian. To make this asparagus salad vegetarian, simply omit the bacon.
What I love most about this asparagus salad is that it can be a whole meal in itself. You have protein, healthy fat, and loads of veggies. With egg, bacon, and asparagus, it’s even more filling than you might imagine. If you need something easy, healthy and dang delicious, this is your go to meal.
Or, you could simply serve it with a slice of rustic bread on the side. Perfect for sopping up any of the delicious dressing left on the plate. 😋
Can Asparagus Salad Be Prepared In Advance?
This is not a great meal to save once dressed and combined, but you can always prepare parts of the salad in advance. The eggs can be boiled a day or two in advance and you can also cook the asparagus in advance.
Additionally, the vinaigrette can be stored for up to 10 days in the fridge.
Then, when you are ready to serve your salad, simply assemble the salad, drizzle with the dressing and serve!
More Salad Recipes
Bacon and Eggs and Asparagus Salad
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pound asparagus spears, ends trimmed off
- 6 strips bacon
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon sherry vinegar (rice vinegar is a good substitute)
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and allow the eggs to boil for 7 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat; lift the eggs into a strainer, and run under cold water to cool them quickly.
- Fill the pan with cold water, put the eggs back in it, and let stand until ready to use.
- Bring a large skillet of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes, or until you can pierce the spears with the tip of a knife.
- Transfer asparagus to a paper towel lined plate; pat them dry. Set aside.
- Add bacon strips to a skillet and cook over medium-low heat, turning as needed, until the bacon is golden and crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate; let stand a minute, or until cooled enough to handle. Chop it into bits.
- Assemble the salad starting with the greens; add the asparagus, bacon, tomatoes, onions, and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Peel the eggs; cut them in half and add to the salad.
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a lid; shake vigorously until all ingredients are incorporated. Taste and adjust.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.