A vibrant, fresh, and delicious chicken salad recipe packed with avocado, bacon, tomatoes and onions, all drizzled with a homemade Rosemary Vinaigrette.
And I am officially IN LOVE with A salad.
Hi, guys! Happy Friday! Happy 1st of JULY! School is only 6 weeks away! YAAAAY!
…I just said that out loud, didn’t I…
Okay Okay. Before you judge me, in my defense, I don’t know how much more I can take of, Mom! I’m boooooooooored!!
Here’s our daily convos;
Child #1: MOM, I’m bored!
ME: But honey, we have over 465 toys downstairs.
Child #2: NO, those are old!
ME: GO OUTSIDE THEN!!!
Child #1: NO, it’s HOT!
ME: Okay. How about we read a little.
Child #2: AGAIN!? That’s so boring!!! *walks away, crying bloody murder*
At least I feed them damn good food, you know?
This Rosemary Chicken Salad is what I like to call, “eating all our colors!”. There’s green, there’s red, yellow-ish, purple-ish, brown… it’s all there and it’s all SO darn good! And I really want it for dinner – all of it – but it’s s’posed to be shared. Thus, I am sharing it with you because Heather, the super talented blogger behind this recipe, shared it with me!
Heather Christo is the author of the blog Heather Christo, and also the author of the cookbook, Pure Delicious, packed with more than 150 allergen-free recipes without gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, or Cane Sugar! If you are dealing with food allergies, or if anyone in your family is, this is the cookbook that you need to get as soon as yesterday.
My family eats healthy, and fortunately none of us have food allergies, however this book is still perfect for us. Beautiful, easy, healthy recipes + tons of gorgeous pictures. The cookbook is also very educational and informative. Heather talks about how to take the leap and start cooking gluten free and allergen free; she also educates on food allergies and what to watch for, as well as sharing her own story about the food she cooks and how she got there.
To be said in plain and simple words, Heather practically holds your hand through the process of learning about eating and cooking allergen free, AND she gives you 150 recipes to start with. BAM!
And when all her recipes taste and look as good as her recipe for this Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon, you know this book is all-that + a bag of allergen-free chips.
This salad has EVERYTHING. There’s avocados and bacon and onions and tomatoes and chicken THIGHS. Aaaaand a Rosemary Vinaigrette that I could drink through a straw.
But most of all, it’s easy to make, it’s fresh, it’s delicious, and there’s bacon in it. I dig it.
You can pick up Heather’s amazing cookbook, Pure Delicious, on Amazon:
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
A vibrant, fresh & delicious chicken salad recipe packed with avocado, bacon, tomatoes and onions, all drizzled with a homemade Rosemary Vinaigrette.
- 4 thick-cut uncured bacon slices , diced
- kosher salt
- 2 boneless chicken thighs , skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 head romaine , chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/4 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- kosher salt
- In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain and set aside.
- Salt the chicken thighs.
- Add the olive oil to the bacon fat in the pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the rosemary and the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until the chicken is golden and crisp.
- Flip the chicken and cook until the thighs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Make a bed of the romaine and watercress in a serving bowl or on a platter.
- Scatter the cherry tomatoes, red onion, and bacon pieces on top.
- Slice the avocado, sprinkle the slices with salt, and arrange them on the salad.
- Slice the chicken and add it to the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, olive oil, vinegar and rosemary until smooth.
- Season with salt.
- Gently toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve immediately. *
*Salad serves 4 as a starter, serves 2 as a meal.
WW Smart Points: 10
Reprinted from Pure Delicious by arrangement with Pam Krauss Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Heather Christo LLC Photographs copyright © 2016, Heather Christo, LLC