Remember when we talked about balance? Reminder here. Well, this is what I mean about balance. One day you have five two boozy doughnuts, but the next day you balance that off with something like this – a serving (or two) of orzo tossed with pears, walnuts, and gorgonzola. All great stuff! Even with the cheese, as long as it’s a serving.
I’m taking this Orzo Salad with Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola to a Labor Day Party on Monday. I will probably finish it in the car before we even get there. It’s that good. Really, it is. Toasted walnuts, a bit of soft cheese, some fruit…sounds perfect to me! Plus, the last time I brought out Orzo to serve some guests, I got these weird looks. They were confused. Few of the guests thought it was rice. “No, thanks”, was their reply. Hm. All the more for me. But, really, don’t knock it before you try it. Orzo is great! You can do whatever you want with it; add it to a soup, throw it in a casserole, make a salad, or serve it as a side.
My advice here would be to one, cook the Orzo until it’s al-dente. That is about 9 minutes. Another tip, take the Gorgonzola out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you need to use it. Gorgonzola should always be served at room temperature.
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 whole Pear (Anjou or Bosc), cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts , toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add in Orzo and cook for about 9 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain and wash under cold water.
- In the meantime toast the walnuts by tossing them in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl, combine orzo, diced pears, toasted walnuts, and Gorgonzola.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the Orzo mixture and toss lightly.
- Serve immediately.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 6
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!