Orzo Frittata with Spinach and Feta – Delicious and classic Mediterranean flavors spice up this simple orzo frittata packed with spinach, bacon, and feta cheese. Enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, or brinner!
Frittata – noun. A fancy way to describe milk and eggs poured over darn good ingredients, then baked! Yep. An omelette.
HI YA! HAPPIEST TGIF! What are you up to this weekend? I plan on hibernating because it’s cold as ever and my life ain’t that interesting where I would have to leave the house to have fun. If you need a buddy to chill with and catch up on Real Housewives of Anywhere, call me. I promise to greet you with a pan of this orzo frittata.
Speaking of. Wouldn’t this frittata (omelette?) make a beautiful Easter Brunch dish?? As a matter of fact, this recipe was inspired by my mom’s amazing rice and yogurt frittata that she makes every Easter.
It is widely known that I am a brunch-lover and I never run out of ways to use up milk and eggs in a single dish. Proof is in my recipe index:
- Hashbrowns, Spinach and Tomato Pie
- Slow Cooker Veggie Omelette
- Tomato Zucchini Frittata
- Cheesy Asparagus Frittata
And those are just a few…
This skillet contains an ingredient that makes for a happy weekend breakfast – bacon.
It is paired with a bit of onion,
followed by a green bunch of baby spinach
and then orzo.
When all that is combined with feta + milk + eggs + oven, we get this fabulous dish packed with every ingredient that makes for a happy weekend.
Are you feeling all the feels right now?
How about now?
Find 10 minutes to chop up some bacon, crumble a bit of feta cheese, boil a cup of orzo, and whisk a few eggs. Your brunch-posse will thank you.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Orzo Frittata with Spinach and Feta
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 6 slices bacon or turkey bacon , chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 bag (8 to 10 ounces) baby spinach
- 1 cup crumbled fat free feta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- plain non-fat yogurt , for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare orzo according to the directions on the package.
- Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet until it begins to brown; add onions and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are soft and bacon is cooked through.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted.
- Drain and rinse the orzo pasta; add it to the skillet.
- Remove from heat and stir until well combined; transfer to previously prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine feta, eggs, milk, salt and pepper; whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the milk mixture over the orzo mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with yogurt.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.