Creamy, comforting, and cheesy Sweet Potato Soup packed with ham and veggies. A simple and delicious soup full of flavor, and it’s the perfect recipe for leftover ham.
AN EASY & DELICIOUS WAY TO USE LEFTOVER HAM
Ham and Sweet Potato Soup is a delicious meal that tastes like you stood by the stovetop tending to it for hours, yet it’s ready in a little over 30 minutes.
If you haven’t noticed, we are BIG into soups:
and many more…
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
This is the best time of year to cozy up to this hearty Sweet Potato Soup that’s brimming with seasonal vegetables and savory ham. And, with Christmas coming up, me thinks this is a great recipe for your leftovers. Thus, don’t forget to hide some ham and sweet potatoes. Just in case. 🙃
- We will start with browning up our ham, and move on to sautéing our onions with carrots, celery, and chunks of sweet potatoes.
- Once those have browned a bit, we are going to add in chicken broth, some seasonings, and let all of that simmer for about 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, we are going to prepare a roux with butter and milk, plus cheese.
- When ready, all that will be added to our soup pot and cooked until everything is heated through and completely creamy.
- Garnish with some parsley and you’re ready to serve.
Slurp up and realize that sweet potatoes + soup were made for each other! 😍 A true winter warmer, this sweet potato soup with ham is just what you need. Easy to prepare and extremely delicious.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEET POTATO SOUP
HOW TO STORE HAM AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
- Transfer cooled soup to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Soup in the refrigerator will be good for up to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE HAM AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
- Let the soup cool completely and transfer it to large freezer bags.
- Keep FROZEN for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, defrost in the fridge over night, then add the soup to a saucepan and reheat over medium heat. Add broth OR milk couple tablespoons at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
MORE POTATO SOUP RECIPES
- Lighter Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Smoked Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
- Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup
- Parsnip and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Leek and Potato Soup
Ham and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 to 4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes about 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 carrots cut into rounds
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper or to taste
- 5 to 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
FOR THE ROUX
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or a large soup pot.
- Add diced ham and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides. Remove from pot.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pot and 1 tablespoon butter; heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted.
- Stir in diced onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery stalks; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic, basil, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil; lower to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
In the meantime, prepare the roux.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk the flour into the butter with a fork.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute, or until the mixture is thickened.
- Slowly stir in the milk; stir until completely smooth.
- Continue to cook and stir for 4 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add ham back into the soup.
- Pour the roux into the soup and cook for 5 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parsley.