Thick and creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup loaded with broccoli, potatoes, and a variety of veggies.
HELLO, MY LOVELIES! HAPPY SUNDAY!
Goodness gracious, people, it is freeeeeezing out there! My eyelashes have icicles on ’em!!
I dunno where you live, but here, around these parts, it is, like, 99 below 0.
No, I’m not in Alaska. I’m talking about the Midwest. Indiana, to be exact.
Brrrrrr! I’m ready to wrap myself up with a cashmere scarf, large blanket, and a bowl of this AMAZING Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup! Followed up by a marathon of The Real Housewives of Wherever, curled up near the fireplace…
Always a dreamer…
You know how we all love that one Broccoli Cheese Soup? The Panera one?! Yes, that one! Okay, so. This soup is just as good, sans cheese. NO cheese! That means we’re kinda saving on some calories! But not on carbs – we’re using potatoes here, after all, but, it doesn’t matter because me thinks potatoes are always better than cheddar cheese. Oui? Healthy, warm, and cozy all in one bowl… It can be done!
This soup is so simple and quick – if you have all the ingredients on hand, I suggest you hit the print button down there and make it for tonight’s din din. The fam will thank you.
OH!! One more thing… 😉
You should also scroll down and enter to win my fabulous giveaway for a KITCHENAID STAND MIXER! WOOOOT! This giveaway is sponsored and hosted by yours truly and a few of my fantastic bloggy friends!
Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot , sliced into thin rounds
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups washed, peeled and diced potatoes (about 3 to 4 whole potatoes)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 6 cups vegetable stock (you can also use chicken or beef stock)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onions, garlic, carrot slices, and season with salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add bay leaf, diced potatoes, broccoli, and stock; cook over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover pot and remove bay leaf.
- Remove from heat; add heavy cream and puree soup with either an immersion blender, or in a food processor. If using a food processor, puree the soup in batches; DO NOT pour the whole soup into the food processor all at once.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Garnish with shredded parmesan cheese.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
11 comments on “Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup + KitchenAid Stand Mixer Giveaway!”
Making for dinner tonight!! Also in this polar vortex called Northwest Indiana 🙂
It must be so cold in your area the past few days… Stay warm! Even though our temp is around 50Fs here I feel cold and soups are always welcomed in my house. 🙂 Looks delicious!
Girl this looks so amazing. I need some comfort food in my life, it’s so cold here my windows froze over. Br!
It looks delicious. Never had one at Panera but I will definitely try this one.
This looks terrific–perfect for a cold day! I’m still waiting on my snow. I was promised some snow and thus far it has not materialized. However, we’ll have a healthy layer of ice once all this rain freezes. Woot.
However the soup! Yes, please!
Yep, we are freezing here in the Chicago area as well. School is cancelled tomorrow for the kids and I (I’m a teacher). Warming up with a nice bowl of soup like this looks like the perfect thing!!
OMG this soup looks so delish! I want a nice bowl considering how cold it will be tomorrow!
Can’t imagine anything better to warm my belly than this gorgeousness!
This is my MIL’s favorite soup from Panera!! She will love it if I make it for her! Thanks, Kate!
Oh this looks ridiculously good! I always add cheddar to my broccoli soup but I want this one right now.
That soup looks sooooo creamy and comforting! Great giveaway too!