Creamy Tortellini Soup – Quick, easy, and deliciously creamy soup packed with cheesy tortellini and fresh spinach.
And all the pasta-soup lovahs, please stand UP! Wednesday is calling, rain is raining, and easy, 30-minute meals are awaiting!
Creamy Tortellini Soup for the win!
Hey Hi, internetS friends! How in the heck are ya? GREAT, I hope!
Wanna talk about current events?!
Yesterday my little one started preschool and I didn’t cry! AND neither did she!! But, that one had me puzzled for a bit. Like, should I be okay with the fact that she didn’t tug on my clothes and cry out all her tears for me? In fact, her demeanor to the whole thing was more like, “Bye, Felicia!”. She just walked off, ran toward all the other little ones and never looked back!
You think she was just being brave??
Where’s the wine? Is 10 am too early?
Cute, ain’t she??? Just like her Mom! Duh. 😉
It’s been nearly nine months since I shared a soup recipe and, well, that’s just not right.
This tortellini amazingness before us is just throwing a bunch of stuff together in a pot and waiting for it to finish cooking. It has layers upon layers of flavors and lotsa texture. I’m a texture faaaah-reak.
In my perfect world, eating carbs would be considered exercise and they would burn every fat cell in the body, and I would eat a big bowl of this Creamy Tortellini Soup for lunch every day.
However, in my perfect world I would also live in the city, have a butler, a private chef, a driver, and I would be able to properly wear skinny jeans with booties, and my ankles would look skinny as can be!
Them darn booties make my ankles look like I have cankles underneath.
So yeah, this beautiful tortellini soup has just about everything your little [vegetarian] heart desires; cheesy tortellini, carrots and spinach. A little roux and a splash of milk makes it super creamy, soul-warming, and of course, comforting. It’s also pretty to look at.
Pull up a chair, why don’t you? I’m starrrrving!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 large carrots , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4- cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (12-ounces) frozen tortellini
- 1 bag (5-ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cream OR milk OR half-and-half (I use 2% milk)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk in flour; whisk until crumbly.
- Slowly add broth and continue to vigorously whisk until everything is well combined and there are no clumps.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and heated through.
- Stir in cream or milk; bring back to a steady boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust accordingly.
WW Smart Points: 11
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE: