Roast Chicken Recipe – Simple Roast Chicken flavored with garlic, butter and herbs, then oven roasted to a golden, crispy, and juicy perfection! EASY, simple to make and flavorful, this is the BEST roast chicken, and it’s perfect for weekend or weeknight dinners.
Succulent roast chicken recipe smothered with butter, garlic, and herbs is for anyone who wants to know how to roast a whole chicken with just a handful of ingredients. Roast Chicken is a complete meal that requires minimal prep work with fantastic textures and flavors.
HOW TO ROAST A WHOLE CHICKEN
Oven Baked Chicken Breasts are great for an everyday meal, but a whole baked chicken is a nourishing and comfort-food classic that you just can’t ignore. 😍
- FIRST, grab yourself a 3 to 3.5 pound bird and remove the giblets inside the chicken’s cavity. Then, grab some paper towels and dry off the skin. Dry skin results in crispier baked skin.
- Next, place chicken, breast side UP, on a rack set over a shallow roasting pan or jelly roll pan. Most of the time, I use this ➡️ jelly roll pan and rack.
- Brush the chicken with melted butter and rub garlic all over the chicken.
- In a small bowl mix together salt, lemon pepper, dried basil, and dried thyme. Take this seasoning mix and rub it onto the chicken.
- Add salt inside the cavity, too, and put some garlic cloves in there, as well as half of a lemon and fresh rosemary sprigs, or any other fresh herbs that you have on hand. Don’t crowd the cavity with too many things because that can result in uneven cooking.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wings under the body of the chicken. Then, roast, uncovered.
HOW LONG TO ROAST A CHICKEN
- It will take anywhere from one hour to one-hour-and-a-half for the chicken to cook. Chicken is done when its skin is golden, juices run clear, and when internal temperature reaches 165˚F. To check for doneness, please use an Instant Read Thermometer.
- When chicken is done, remove from oven, baste the chicken with the juices, and let rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Lemon Butter Green Beans
- Garlic Butter Cauliflower Rice
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER WHOLE CHICKEN
- Carve out all the meat and let completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 4 days.
MORE ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Simple Roast Chicken flavored with garlic, butter and herbs, then oven roasted to a golden, crispy, and juicy perfection!
- 3 to 3-1/2 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning, or you can also use fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Remove giblets from inside of the chicken's cavity.
- Thoroughly dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Place chicken, breast side UP, on a rack set over a shallow roasting pan or jelly roll pan.
- Brush chicken with melted butter.
- Sprinkle or rub minced garlic all over chicken.
- In a small bowl combine salt, basil, thyme, and lemon pepper; rub onto the chicken.
- Add some salt to the inside of the cavity and fill the cavity with lemon slices, rosemary, and garlic cloves.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wings under the body of the chicken.
- Roast, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350˚F and continue to cook until done; about 1 more hour and 10 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165˚F.
- Remove from oven and baste the chicken with the juices.
- Let rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 12
- REDUCE points down to 5 by consuming chicken breast meat, only.