Smoked Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup – This wonderful, hearty, delicious soup is loaded with smoked sausage, kale and potatoes, and is done in just 30 minutes.
I’ve got your ideal winter-best-friend. It’s THIS Smoked Sausage Kale and Potato Soup! It’s cozy. It’s wintery. It’s so dang good. It’s a hug in a bowl.
…and all the feels that come with freezing temps outside, and comforting warmth inside.
But, first… HELLO, friends! How’s my favorite people?! Are you riding the resolutions-train? 6 days into 2016 and my smoothie game has never been better. I’m putting coffee in smoothies, chocolate, ice cream – which would make it a milkshake, so scratch that – yogurt, mint, etc… I’ll get to the best one, and when I do, I’ll share it with you.
My other game includes soups. Lots of soups. The Creamy Crab and Wild Rice Soup has made its appearance a few times in the past several weeks, as well as this Smoked Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup.
Occasionally I make a meal that I can’t stop thinking about. A meal that I want to eat thrice a day. A meal that I actually DID eat thrice a day and wanted more.
This soup is definitely one of those. It wasn’t anything overly special, besides the fact that it was incredibly simple and just tasted soooo dang good. Really good. It tasted great cold, reheated and every which way around. I like it. LOTS.
If you’re a freak like me, you might have 15 different kinds of smoked/Polish/kielbasa sausages in your fridge. Talk about weird obsessions. I.love.it. Mostly because of my Mom’s One-Skillet Sausage and Rice Recipe, but also because I love ’em in soups. I really do. I totally adore the flavor and use them whenever possible. Life ain’t always about chicken and fish, you know? Live a little!
Try this and tell me how much you loved it, m’kay? Thanks! 😀
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 package (14-ounces) smoked sausage (such as kielbasa - I used Eckrich), sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 cups torn kale leaves
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 carton (32-ounces) low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups soy milk (I used Silk Soymilk)
- Melt butter and heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onions, garlic, sliced smoked sausage rounds, kale, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme; stir to combine and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in potatoes.
- Add chicken broth and soy milk; bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until potatoes are fully cooked and tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Remove rosemary sprig.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
WW SmartPoints: 3
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE: