Crock Pot Chicken with Artichokes is a melt-in-your-mouth chicken thighs recipe cooked in the slow cooker with artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes.
Table of Contents
- Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
- Why We Love This Crockpot Chicken Recipe
- How To Make Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tips and Variations For Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
- Serving Suggestions For Chicken With Artichokes
- Storage Instructions
- Get the Recipe
Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
You’ll love this easy, wonderfully delicious crockpot chicken thighs recipe! The chicken is paired with tasty artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes that result in a super simple meal your whole family will love! In fact, this chicken recipe will make you want to jump for joy because there’s so much texture and flavor here; the chicken will literally melt in your mouth.
Artichoke hearts are a surefire way to add lots of flavor to a dish. Throw in some sun-dried tomatoes, and you’ve got an exciting taste combination. What’s even better about this recipe is how easy it is to prep. Just put everything in the slow cooker and go about your day. It’s a meal that almost cooks itself, and the result is simply delicious!
Why We Love This Crockpot Chicken Recipe
- Easy to Prepare: This recipe is as simple as layering ingredients in your slow cooker. Set it up, go about your day, and return to a delicious meal.
- Family-Friendly: This dish is something your whole family will love. It’s a crowd-pleaser that satisfies both kids and adults.
- Versatile: You can serve it as is, or pair it with your favorite sides, making it a versatile meal that suits any dining occasion.
- Flavor-packed Ingredients: The artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes bring a whole lot of flavor to the dish, turning simple chicken thighs into a gourmet experience.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
This recipe makes it simple to get a family dinner on the table with only several ingredients and without all the fuss.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, you’ll need 6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs seasoned with salt and fresh ground pepper. You’ll also need paprika, dried oregano, a jar of grilled artichoke hearts, some minced garlic cloves, and a bag of Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes.
- Prepare the Crock Pot: Spray a 6-quart crock pot/slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Season the Chicken: Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Transfer chicken thighs to the slow cooker in one layer.
- Layer Ingredients: Place the artichoke hearts over the chicken and sprinkle with garlic. Pour a 1/3 cup of the liquid from the jar with the artichoke hearts over the top.
- Cooking Time: Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or on LOW for about 6 hours.
- Add Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes 30 minutes before the chicken is done cooking.
- Garnish and Serve: Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use chicken breasts, but keep in mind that chicken breasts will need less time cooking, so start checking for doneness around the 4-hour mark if cooking on LOW, and around the 2-hour mark if cooking on HIGH.
Bone-in chicken thighs are great but may need a little longer to cook through. Chicken is cooked through when its internal temperature registers at 165˚F on an Instant Read Meat Thermometer.
Up to 8 chicken thighs should suffice because you want them all in one layer, slightly overlapping so as to make room for the rest of the ingredients to combine.
Tips and Variations For Crock Pot Chicken With Artichokes
- Choosing the Right Chicken: Opt for chicken thighs, which tend to stay juicy and tender during slow cooking.
- Layering Is Key: Make sure to layer the ingredients as directed, starting with the chicken, then artichokes, and finally the garlic and liquid. This ensures even cooking and flavor distribution.
- Watch the Cooking Time: The cooking time can vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken thighs, so keep an eye on it, especially if you’re using the HIGH setting.
- Don’t Rush the Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Adding the sun-dried tomatoes 30 minutes before the end of cooking helps them retain texture and flavor without becoming mushy.
- Customize the Flavors: Feel free to experiment with other seasonings, like thyme or rosemary, to match your taste preferences.
Serving Suggestions For Chicken With Artichokes
Chicken with artichokes is a rich and flavorful dish that pairs well with various sides. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve Over Grains: Plate the chicken and artichokes over rice, quinoa, or couscous to soak up the delicious juices.
- Pair with Pasta: For a more substantial meal, serve it over buttered noodles or creamy mashed potatoes.
- Add a Green Side: A simple bulgur salad with a light vinaigrette or roasted green beans can balance the richness of the dish.
- Bread Option: Offer crusty bread, like this slow cooker basil pesto bread, to help scoop up the sauce and complement the textures.
- Wine Pairing: Consider serving a chilled glass of white wine like Chardonnay or a light red wine like Pinot Noir to complement the flavors.
This delightful meal is a game-changer that you must try. Its easy preparation and rich, tempting flavors combine both a side dish and main course in one. Grab some crusty, delicious bread to soak up the incredible sauce that accompanies it. Your taste buds will thank you! If you don’t have or don’t want to use a slow cooker, make this similar Artichoke Chicken recipe.
- Storage in Fridge: The chicken thighs should be cooled and refrigerated 2 hours after cooking. Keep them stored in your fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- Freezing Option: Let the chicken thighs cool completely; transfer to a freezer bag and place them in the freezer. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
- Reheating Instructions: Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet and reheat in a 350˚F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Crock Pot Chicken Thighs with Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 jar (14.75-ounces) grilled artichoke hearts, drained, 1/3-cup liquid reserved
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup artichoke hearts liquid
- 1 bag (3.5-ounces) Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Spray a 6-quart crock pot/slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, dried oregano, and paprika; transfer to the slow cooker and arrange them in one layer.
- Add artichoke hearts over the chicken; sprinkle with garlic.
- Take 1/3-cup of the liquid from the jar with the artichoke hearts and pour it over the top.
- Cover; cook on HIGH for 4 to 4-1/2 hours, or on LOW for about 6 hours.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes 30 minutes before it's done cooking; cover and continue to cook.
- Remove cover at the end of the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for juicy, tender results, but you can also use chicken breasts.
- Prep Your Crock Pot: Spray with cooking spray for easy cleanup.
- Layer: Follow the order: chicken, artichokes, garlic, and liquid for even cooking.
- Cooking Time: Monitor cooking, as cooking time varies with chicken parts, size, and thickness.
- Experiment: Adjust the seasonings, or use different ones to your taste.
- Store Leftovers: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.