This gluten-free, low-carb recipe for Easy Keto Zucchini Breadsticks will rock your world! Fresh grated zucchini and cheese make a simple batter that bakes up into the perfect cheesy partner for any dipping sauce.
Cheesy Low Carb, Keto “Breadsticks”
Do you love breadsticks? I know I do, especially with a tangy marinara. And, how about zucchini fritters, light and crispy? They’re so simple and wholesome.
Well, if you combined those two tasty sides, you’d get a fantastic recipe like THIS one! Tender, mild zucchini are shredded up and carefully patted dry, to make a light, gluten-free base for our cheesy breadsticks. And, for my keto and gluten-free peeps, this recipe is low carb and keto-friendly!
From there, it’s all about cheese, and a little bit of egg to keep it all together. Bake, slice, and you’ve got one delicious appetizer, or side to dunk in that marinara goodness! Not a marinara fan? That’s ok! These zucchini breadsticks are scrumptious on their own, as well, or you can try a variety of dipping sauces.
What You’ll Need
These easy, cheesy breadsticks rely on just a few basic ingredients: fresh zucchini, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg and seasonings. It’s a good way to use zucchini that are a little too large for other recipes.
For the Breadsticks
- Zucchini: You’ll need about 4 cups of grated zucchini. For me, that was two large zucchini.
- Mozzarella: Half a cup of shredded mozzarella gives a great texture and helps the mixture stick together.
- Parmesan: I used ⅓ cup of finely shredded parmesan cheese in the breadsticks.
- Egg: A large whole egg helps bind the mixture and give it rise.
- Italian Seasoning: Dried Italian seasoning is my secret weapon! So much flavor in one easy teaspoon!
- Salt & Garlic Powder: You’ll need half a teaspoon of each.
For the Topping
- Mozzarella: Again, mozzarella is key to a melty and delicious dish! Have ready 1 cup of finely shredded mozzarella cheese for sprinkling over the top of the breadsticks.
- Marinara Sauce: For dipping. (Yum!)
How to Make Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
If you’ve ever made zucchini bread, this is sort of like that! It’s really easy to pull together and bake, especially if you use parchment to avoid sticking.
- Prep Oven, Pan & Zucchini: Preheat your oven to 425°F. While it heats, line a 7×11-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. Then, grate the zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater. Transfer the grated zucchini to a kitchen towel; wrap the towel around the zucchini and wring out all the water. Squeeze out as much as possible.
- Mix Zucchini Batter: In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Mix and stir until completely combined.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the previously prepared baking sheet and spread it out into a layer about 1/2-inch thick. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven and top with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut & Serve: Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let the breadstick loaf stand at room temperature for about five minutes, to cool and stabilize. Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to slice the loaf into breadsticks. (If you need to, you can wipe the pizza cutter or knife between slices, to keep it cutting smoothly.) Serve the cheesy breadsticks warm, with or without dipping sauce!
Tips for Success
I know my main concern with a dish like this is getting it crispy… and getting it out of the pan! So here are my best tips for just those issues:
- Salt Before Squishing: If you have time, lightly salt your shredded zucchini and let it sit for about ten minutes before you squeeze it out. The salt helps draw the moisture out! Drier zucchini equals crisper breadsticks.
- Bake Until Golden: Baking times may vary! Not all ovens are created equal. Depending on your oven and zucchini, it may take longer to get a golden-brown top and dark edges on your breadsticks. When you see that your bake has the right color, add the mozzarella topping and finish baking.
- Consider Silicone: Parchment is great, but silicone mats may be even better at keeping your cheesy breadsticks from getting stuck to the pan. You can also grease the sides of your pan, if desired.
These breadsticks make a great appetizer or side dish for all kinds of meals! I like to serve mine with delicious Italian dishes, like these:
- Foil Dinners: This simple recipe for Italian Chicken and Vegetables in Foil will make weeknights a breeze! And it’s so delicious with a side of cheesy breadsticks.
- Eggplant Casserole: I think eggplant is absolutely mouthwatering baked up with Italian Sausage! Add a side of breadsticks to this Italian Sausage and Eggplant Casserole; you won’t be sorry!
- Chicken Marsala: A totally delicious skillet dish, my Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Marsala comes together in a snap!
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
- These breadsticks are best fresh out of the oven, but leftovers can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, wrapped well and then placed in airtight containers.
- To reheat, bake the breadsticks on a lined baking sheet at 350°F, until heated through.
Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
For the Breadsticks
For the Topping
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater.
- Transfer grated zucchini to a kitchen towel; wrap the towel around the zucchini and wring out all the water. Squeeze out as much as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the zucchini, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix and stir until completely combined.
- Transfer mixture to previously prepared baking sheet and spread out the zucchini into about ½-inch thick layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pull it out of the oven and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Continue to bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand couple minutes.
- Cut into “breadsticks”.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
- NET CARBS: 3 g
- WW POINTS: To reduce points down to 1, use fat free shredded mozzarella cheese.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
More Keto Recipes to Try
Need more inspiration for amazing Keto recipes? Try these!