Creamy, ultra cheesy, and super indulgent Keto Mac and Cheese prepared with cauliflower, bacon, and cheddar cheese! Just because you’re on a Low Carb or Keto diet, it doesn’t mean you should forget about your favorite childhood meal.
THE BEST KETO MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
If you’ve been missing your favorite pasta dinners, I have got one delicious and healthy solution for you! It’s this really easy cauliflower mac and cheese casserole. From start to finish, you can make it in about 30 minutes, and, I promise you, it’s delicious!
I know, I really do know that cauliflower IS NOT macaroni, nor potatoes, nor rice, but it’s a really good substitute for all those things. Have you tried my Loaded Mashed Cauliflower? Or my Chicken and Cauliflower Rice? DO it! You’ll see that cauliflower can save the day for those trying to cut down on carbs.
HOW TO MAKE KETO MAC AND CHEESE
Keto Mac and Cheese is perfect for anyone with a macaroni cheese craving that can’t eat real macaroni. I know! 😭 😭 BUT, tender cauliflower and crispy bacon and a suuuper creamy cheese sauce can help. Hear me out:
- First, you want to break up a head of cauliflower into florets and add those to boiling water; cook, covered, for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain cauliflower in a colander and set aside.
- Add milk (or cream) and softened cream cheese to a saucepan – gently whisk until the cream cheese is completely melted. I use the same saucepan, or pot, for boiling the cauliflower and for making the sauce. Less pots and pans to wash. 🤷♀️
- Stir in some garlic powder, chili powder, dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Just add whatever other herbs and spices that you like.
- Whisk in shredded cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese. You can also use different cheeses; Gruyere, Gouda, Monterey Jack, etc… But, whatever cheese you choose, make sure it is shredded because, it needs to quickly melt into the cream sauce.
- Once the sauce is smooth, stir in the drained cauliflower; gently stir around so that the cauliflower is covered with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer cauliflower to a 9×13 baking dish and bake, uncovered, for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. I also like to add a topping of pork rind panko crumbs for a nice crunch.
- While that bakes, dice up few slices of bacon and fry until crispy.
- Remove casserole from oven, top with prepared bacon, and serve.
Richly flavored and utterly delicious, Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is thick and creamy without any use of flour so it’s also gluten free! 🙌Basically, what I’m trying to say is NOT to swear off comfort food just because of a diet. 😊
IS CHEESE KETO-FRIENDLY?
YES! Thank goodness. 🙏 BUT, always remember this; “in moderation”. Yes, cheese is totally acceptable on a low carb and Keto diet, but don’t add it to every meal. Cheese still has calories, and too much cheese equals too many calories, and that’s not going to help with losing weight.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH CAULIFLOWER MAC AND CHEESE?
- Baked Shrimp Scampi
- Instant Pot Pork Loin
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Garlicky Lemon Parmesan Broccoli
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- Store completely cooled Keto Mac and Cheese in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in microwave.
MORE CAULIFLOWER RECIPES TO TRY
- Garlicky and Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake
- Garlic Butter Cauliflower Rice
- Carrots and Cauliflower Tots
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Keto Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk, (you can also use heavy whipping cream)
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices bacon, diced and cooked to a desired crispiness
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
FOR THE TOPPING (optional)
- 1/4 cup pork rinds panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Place 1 inch of water in a large pot or large saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower florets to boiling water and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, or until tender crisp. Drain cauliflower in colander and set aside.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish; set aside.
- Pour milk in the same pot that you used for the cauliflower, and set over medium heat. Add the cream cheese to the milk and whisk until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in dried parsley, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese; gently whisk until cheeses have completely melted.
- Add the cauliflower florets back into the pot, and using a large spoon, gently stir around until everything is covered in cheese sauce.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to previously prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine pork rinds crumbs, parmesan, and melted butter; mix and stir until well combined. Sprinkle pork rinds mixture in an even layer over the cauliflower.
- Bake, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- In the meantime, dice the bacon and fry to a desired crispness. Garnish with prepared bacon and fresh parsley. Serve.
- FREESTYLE POINTS: 17
- Use fat free shredded cheeses, fat free cream cheese, regular panko crumbs, turkey bacon, and fat free milk to reduce points down to 6