Instant Pot Barbecue Pulled Pork – Tender and juicy, quick and easy to make barbecue pulled pork prepared in the Instant Pot!
With just a few minutes of prep time, this super easy instant pot/pressure cooker pulled pork recipe makes the juiciest barbecue sandwiches. Packed with sweet and smoky flavors, my recipe for pulled pork is seasoned to perfection and it’s possibly the best food item you can bring to a cookout.
Truth: I would rather be in charge of bringing the plastic plates and cups, BUT, if I’m in charge of bringing some food, this Instant Pot Barbecue Pulled Pork is coming with me! Partly because it’s all made in just one pot, and partly because I can just set-it and forget-it.
WHAT KIND OF MEAT TO USE FOR PULLED PORK
In my recipe, I like to use pork shoulder. It’s tender, very tasty, and versatile. I will sometimes make a big batch of pulled pork, and then make different things with it throughout the week. Pizza one day, sandwiches the next, salads, stuffed peppers, frittatas, and so on.
WHAT SPICES DO YOU USE FOR PULLED PORK
My go-to spice rub includes, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I rub this spice all over the meat and let it sit for about 30 minutes before I start to cook it.
HOW TO MAKE PULLED PORK IN THE INSTANT POT
Cooking a pork shoulder is practically fool-proof, but it does require a bit of your time, even with the “instant pot”. Before the pressure cooker/instant pot, I made pulled pork in the slow cooker, and that took about 6 to 8 hours. Now, even though it’s not instant, it’s still done in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. So, yeah, IP for the win!
- To start, you’ll want to season the meat with the spice rub and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, we will start with sticking several garlic cloves into the meat, and then sauteeing until browned on all sides.
- Then we add in some water or chicken broth and a cup of my Homemade Honey Barbecue Sauce. OR any other BBQ Sauce.
- Close the IP with the lid and set it to cook for 60 minutes. When all is done, you’ll shred the pork, stir it into its juices, and finally serve.
Pulled pork is the ideal addition to those juicy bbq sandwiches, but it’s also great for those like me that could care less about the bread and the bun. I just stick a fork in it and go at it, caveman style. With a side of Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw. No additional carbs needed.
MORE IDEAS FOR PORK
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Tender and juicy, quick and easy to make barbecue pulled pork prepared in the Instant Pot!
- 1 tablespoon , or to taste, chili powder
- 1/2 tabelspoon , or to taste, paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, quartered
- 1 cup Honey Barbecue Sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 cup water OR low sodium chicken broth
- Cut the pork in about 3 to 4 pieces so it's easier to manage.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Evenly coat the pork with the spice rub; cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge; cut several slits in the meat and stick garlic cloves inside the slits.
- Press “Sauté” on the Instant Pot and heat the olive oil.
- Add the pork and brown on all sides; this may have to be done in 2 batches.
- Add onions, 1 cup barbecue sauce, and water or chicken broth to the meat inside the instant pot; stir to combine.
- Close the lid, turn the vent to “Sealing” and set the instant pot/pressure cooker to “Manual” for 60 minutes.
- When time is up, let the vent naturally release. DON'T do the quick release option.
- Open the lid and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a large cutting board or plate; set aside.
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it has reduced by half.
- In the meantime, using two forks, shred the pork.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the shredded pork back into the sauce; stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce on the side.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 12
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy