Garlicky & Cheesy Carrots and Cauliflower Tots – Baked, crispy, garlicky, and cheesy tots made of cauliflower and carrots.
SO good!! AND SO healthy! YAY US!
Hi, you guyyyyys! It’s Fry-Daaaaay! Happy Happy Day!
But we’re not fryin’. We’re bakin’! And we’re skipping the potatoes…
Having said that, looks like frYday doesn’t live around these parts. Not today.
Also? Did you know that this is Labor Day Weekend?! How in the H.E. double-hockey-sticks did that happen?? Damn! Time is so quick!
Had I paid attention, I’d be serving up some picnic food today, but these cauliflower tots are the perfect impostors. Just don’t let anyone know what is actually IN ’em. People, mostly kids, tend to scoff at the thought of cauliflower. My kids call it “the brain-looking vegetable”.
I was as skeptical as some of you might be right now when I first heard about these cauli-tots. I was all like, Heck NO! EW! Tater Tots are my life! It’s the only memory I have of Elementary School!
However, an episode of Nadia G. changed my beliefs.
That’s right. I’m jumping on the bandwagon of the internet and making cauliflower tots just like everyone else!
I have to admit, though. Friends, cross my heart, these are a thousand times better than I could have imagined. I played around for a while with ’em, adding broccoli one time, asparagus another time… feta, spinach, etc…, but in the end, THIS version was the best one. Garlic and Cheese for the WIN! With a sprinkle of carrots. Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, vitamin B8, and the rest, WELCOME to dinner!
And because I’m a nice person and I love to share, I want you to have this great recipe for Garlicky & Cheesy Carrots and Cauliflower Tots, too! I’m so kind, ain’t I?
It can be ready in about 40 minutes with some prep, and it only requires a few simple ingredients, and it’s healthy. AND your food processor does most of the work!
Let’s do the right thing and make these right now! Is 10 am too early??
Finally, wanna join me on snapchat? I post funny videos! AND you can see me screwing up in the kitchen. FUN! Look for me, please – @diethood. I’m new at it, but looks like it’s one more bandwagon I have to jump on. Ugh. Can’t.Keep.Up. And their ghost icon is kinda creepy.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small head cauliflower , cut into florets
- 2 large carrots
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place water in a large pan; add salt and bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower and carrots; par boil for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water; pat dry with paper towels, set aside and let cool.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine sliced green onions, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, cheeses, oregano, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Add cooled cauliflower and carrots to your food processor; pulse several times or until uniformly chopped – you don't want to get it too fine.
- Add cheese mixture to the food processor; pulse about 5 to 6 times or until all is well combined.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of mixture in your hands and shape into ovals.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; flip the tots and continue to cook for 9 to 10 minutes, or until golden browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand several minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauces; ketchup, mustard, yogurt, etc...
Make sure the vegetables are completely cooled before shaping into tots.