Fried Cabbage – Delicious, low-carb comfort food prepared with cabbage and bacon! Quick and easy Keto-friendly side dish perfect for a weeknight meal.
What comes together in 10 minutes, in just one pan, and with 3 main ingredients? FRIED CABBAGE! 🥬 Sweet and tender cabbage cooked with bacon results in a delicious dish great to serve alongside lamb, beef, chicken, or pork.
But, that’s AY-OK (NOW it’s okay, not when I was a kid and just wanted mac and cheese like everyone else 😃) because, cabbage is rich in nutrients, promotes detoxification, it’s also packed with antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins. 💪
HOW TO MAKE FRIED CABBAGE?
- Rinse cabbage, remove outer loose leaves, and cut into quarters.
- Take each quarter and chop it or cut it into thicker shreds.
- Get 4 to 5 slices of thick cut bacon and dice it up.
- Then, cook the bacon in a sauté pan; remove from pan and set aside.
- Keep bacon grease in the pan and fry the onions.
- Add garlic and cabbage; season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 8 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Stir bacon back in the skillet.
- Sprinkle cabbage with pepper flakes and green onions; serve.
Simple, tasty, and ready in no time, this Fried Cabbage with Bacon recipe is hearty enough to make it a meal on its own, but just, uhm, quadruple the recipe. 😉
TIPS & TRICKS FOR FRIED CABBAGE
- DO NOT overcook the cabbage. Remove from heat as soon as it’s just tender. Overcooked cabbage will result in limp, mushy, and smelly cabbage.
- Flavor the cabbage to your taste. Add paprika to it, dried herbs, onion powder, curry powder, or whatever else you might like.
- If you want a vegetarian dish, leave out the bacon and use 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil in place of the bacon grease.
HOW TO STORE COOKED CABBAGE
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 3 days.
MORE CABBAGE SIDE DISH RECIPES
- Balsamic Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw Recipes
- Classic Southern Coleslaw
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet for about 5 minutes, or to a desired crispiness.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is just tender; about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir bacon back into the skillet.
Garnish with red pepper flakes and green onions; serve.