Fried Cabbage – Delicious, low-carb comfort food prepared with cabbage and bacon! Quick and easy Keto-friendly side dish perfect for a weeknight meal.
What comes together in 10 minutes, in just one pan, and with 3 main ingredients? FRIED CABBAGE! 🥬 Sweet and tender cabbage cooked with bacon results in a delicious dish great to serve alongside lamb, beef, chicken, or pork.
Growing up Macedonian, during the winter we always had cabbage dishes. From Cabbage Soup with Rice to Podvarok and this Fried Cabbage, you just couldn’t escape it.
But, that’s AY-OK (NOW it’s okay, not when I was a kid and just wanted mac and cheese like everyone else 😃) because, cabbage is rich in nutrients, promotes detoxification, it’s also packed with antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins. 💪
HOW TO MAKE FRIED CABBAGE?
- Rinse cabbage, remove outer loose leaves, and cut into quarters.
- Take each quarter and chop it or cut it into thicker shreds.
- Get 4 to 5 slices of thick cut bacon and dice it up.
- Then, cook the bacon in a sauté pan; remove from pan and set aside.
- Keep bacon grease in the pan and fry the onions.
- Add garlic and cabbage; season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 8 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Stir bacon back in the skillet.
- Sprinkle cabbage with pepper flakes and green onions; serve.
Simple, tasty, and ready in no time, this Fried Cabbage with Bacon recipe is hearty enough to make it a meal on its own, but just, uhm, quadruple the recipe. 😉
TIPS & TRICKS FOR FRIED CABBAGE
- DO NOT overcook the cabbage. Remove from heat as soon as it’s just tender. Overcooked cabbage will result in limp, mushy, and smelly cabbage.
- Flavor the cabbage to your taste. Add paprika to it, dried herbs, onion powder, curry powder, or whatever else you might like.
- If you want a vegetarian dish, leave out the bacon and use 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil in place of the bacon grease.
HOW TO STORE COOKED CABBAGE
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 3 days.
MORE CABBAGE SIDE DISH RECIPES
- Balsamic Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw Recipes
- Classic Southern Coleslaw
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet for about 5 minutes, or to a desired crispiness.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is just tender; about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir bacon back into the skillet.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and green onions; serve.