Roasted, crispy, and incredibly flavorful cabbage steaks brushed with a sweet and savory balsamic and garlic glaze.
Balsamic Roasted Cabbage Steaks roasted to a crispy perfection on the outside, but a creamy goodness on the inside.
OhMahGosh friends! These cabbage steaks are so, so, soooo good! It’s just layers and layers of crunchy and creamy satisfaction with the bonus drizzle of garlic and balsamic vinegar. I’m going to call this the perfect side dish.
Do you remember the cabbage diet craze? I DO. I did it! That’s when I learned about roasting cabbage “steaks”. The exchange went something like this:
- Hey, Kat, want steak?
- Here’s some cabbage! Pretend it’s beef.
- Uhmmm, thanks…?
Little did I know that I would actually and totally enjoy the balsamic roasted cabbage steaks to no end. I don’t need to be on no cabbage-diet to love them, know whaddamean?
This is really a simple dish and goes great as a low carb, low cal, healthy side dish with just about any meal. Even with a REAL steak. *Tried it, LOVED it*.
It’s especially fitting if you are on a keto or paleo diet. Just try to find a balsamico that is without any added sugars so to keep the carbs at zero.
HOW TO MAKE BALSAMIC ROASTED CABBAGE STEAKS
- Prepare a balsamic glaze by combining balsamic vinegar with garlic, honey, and mustard.
- Slice a small head of red cabbage into thick 1-inch “steaks”.
- Brush steaks with prepared balsamic glaze and bake at 400F for about 20 to 25 minutes.
HOW TO CUT “CABBAGE STEAKS”
- Pull outer leaf off cabbage and discard.
- Cut the bottom (the root) off of the cabbage and set it sitting up so that the flat end is on the cutting board.
- Cut cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being the root) into 1-inch thick slices.
More Cabbage Recipes to Try:
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
Balsamic Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
- 1 head red cabbage
FOR THE BALSAMIC GLAZE
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- dried parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the bottom (the root) off of the cabbage and set it sitting up so that the flat end is on the cutting board; cut into 1-inch thick slices.
- Transfer cabbage slices to previously prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, honey, salt and pepper; mix well until combined.
- Brush the cabbage steaks with prepared balsamic glaze on both sides.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crispy tender.
- Garnish with dried parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.