Lightened-Up Homemade Hamburger Helper – Ditch the boxed mix Hamburger Helper and make this easy, one-pot, healthier homemade version!
Homemade, real-ingredients-type One Pot Hamburger Helper, you say? Yes, WE CAN! I am definitely down with dat.
Hi Hi! Happy Happy Sunday! How are you?! How are things going?
Lemme tell you about things around here… you won’t even believe this right now: IT’S SNOWING. I’m sitting on the couch and looking out the window where it was sunny 2 minutes ago, it rained 4 minutes before that, and now it’s snowing. ❄ ☔ P.S.? It’s April.
Just let me tell you one more thing real quick. Photographing yellow food is freakin’ brutal! Or maybe it isn’t, but the photographer was too lazy to figure out a better way?!
Nahhhh. It’s the yellow food.
Okay, so I have some major things to tell you. First of all, today we are giving a big huge virtual hug to our, yours and mine, favorite high school boxed meal!
I don’t know about you, but my parents worked and came home waaaay after my sister and I came home from school, so reaching for the boxed-mixes was our thing at least once a week.
Over the years, as we’ve tried to cut back on fake-ish food, I have found it really, really therapeutic recreating packaged food products, and making them completely homemade. Hamburger Helper is one of ’em.
Working off of my One Pot Spinach & Feta Macaroni and Cheese is actually how I made it to this recipe right here. Made with whole wheat pasta, ground turkey, vegan cheddar, and almond milk, we’ve got a lot of delicious but simple and healthier yummies factoring in here. It’s very easy to prepare and cooking all in one pot makes it a snap for clean up.
You must make this, good people of the world. It makes the perfect weeknight dinner, and it’s the greatest excuse to transport back to your high school days.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Lightened-Up Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound 99% Fat-Free Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat/whole grain elbow macaroni (I use DeLallo)
- 1 cup cubed vegan cheddar cheese (I use "Daiya")
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups almond milk (you can also use soy milk or regular milk)
- 1/2 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet or a dutch oven.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and season with, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is browned; remove from heat and drain out the liquid.
- Add pasta, cheese, flour, milk, chicken broth and worcestershire sauce to the prepared meat; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently; lower to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until pasta is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.