This quick and cheesy Instant Pot burrito bowl recipe is light, fresh, and filled with Mexican-style flavor. It’s an easy meal that the whole family will love!
This delicious, protein-packed Instant Pot Burrito Bowl is the best nutritious dinner or easy lunch on busy weekdays! All it takes is your Instant Pot and less than an hour to make this easy meal bowl bursting with Mexican flavors.
Why We Love This Instant Pot Burrito Bowl Recipe
- Versatile. Burrito bowls are customizable and super quick to make in the Instant Pot.
- Great for beginners. If you’re just starting to use an Instant Pot, this is the perfect recipe to get you going.
- Lots of protein. After the success of my Instant Pot beef burritos, I was inspired to make a bowl version that was leaner with ground turkey and black beans.
- Easy meal prep. This recipe makes a lot of food. It’s perfect for prepping weekly meals ahead. All leftovers can be refrigerated and kept for later times.
Instant Pot Burrito Bowl Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil: For sautéing. You can also use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Onion and Garlic: Our must-have aromatics. I use yellow onion, but white onion is okay to use.
- Fajita Seasoning: I use my favorite homemade fajita seasoning, but you can use your own blend or store-bought.
- Chicken Broth
- Ground Turkey: You can also make this recipe with ground chicken or beef.
- Corn and Black Beans: If you’re using canned, make sure to drain and rinse beforehand.
- Salsa: Use your preferred jarred salsa.
- Rice: Jasmine rice or another long-grain rice works best for this Instant Pot recipe. Avoid minute rice.
How to Make an Instant Pot Burrito Bowl
You’re about to make the best burrito bowl straight from the Instant Pot! If you’re new to cooking with the Instant Pot, let’s walk through the steps:
- Sauté the onions and garlic. With the Instant Pot set to sauté, you’ll start by cooking the onions and garlic in a bit of oil.
- Add the ingredients to the pot. Next, sprinkle in the fajita seasoning and pour in some of the chicken broth. Add your ground turkey and break it up a bit using a wooden spoon. Then you’ll stir in your corn, beans, and salsa. Finally, top everything with rice and the remaining chicken broth.
- Cook. Pressure cook on High for 8 minutes, then naturally release the pressure for 12 minutes. Lift the lid and give everything a stir, then let the contents rest for a few minutes more before serving.
- Serve! Scoop out the burrito mixture into bowls and pile on your toppings. We love ours with avocado, veggies, cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. See below for more ideas.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Budget enough time. While the cooking time is 8 minutes, the Instant Pot will need an additional 10 minutes to come to pressure and another 12 minutes to naturally release the pressure.
- Layer the ingredients. Properly layering the burrito ingredients in the pot, as per the recipe instructions, is the key to this recipe’s success.
- Different protein. In place of ground turkey, try ground chicken, ground beef, or pork. I also love adding shredded salsa verde chicken to a burrito bowl, or this Instant Pot chicken mole is another easy Instant Pot recipe that you can try.
- Make it vegetarian. To make a vegetarian burrito bowl, skip the ground meat or substitute it with lentils or plant-based mince.
- Make a breakfast burrito bowl. Follow this recipe as directed and borrow the toppings from my breakfast burrito recipe.
Burrito Bowl Toppings
- Toppings: sliced or diced avocado, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped chile, diced onions, shredded cheese, salsa, avocado tomatillo salsa, mango guacamole, fresh cilantro, and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
What to Serve With Burrito Bowls
For an easy meatless side, try this copycat recipe for Chipotle’s spicy sofritas. We love this spicy homemade enchilada sauce, chimichurri sauce, or good old honey mustard on top. To really round out a dinner, serve these baked tacos or mahi mahi fish tacos.
- Store the burrito mixture separately from the toppings in airtight containers and refrigerate it for up to 1 week or freeze it for 2 to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
- Reheat the mixture in the microwave or in a skillet on the stovetop until it’s hot throughout.
More One Bowl Recipes
- Quinoa Burrito Bowls
- Taco Bowls
- Poke Bowl Recipe
- Cajun Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Ranch-Chicken Fajita Bowls
Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Fajitas Seasoning
- 1½ cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15-ounces) corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- chopped chiles
- cherry tomatoes
- avocados, sliced or chopped
- shredded cheddar cheese
- lime, cut in wedges, for serving
- finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute setting and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the diced onions and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Season with Fajitas Seasoning Mix; add in 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, stir, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add in the ground turkey, break it up with a wooden spoon, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the beans, corn, and salsa to combine.
- Add the rice on top of the mixture, but don't stir. Add the remaining broth over the rice.
- On manual setting, set the pressure on HIGH for 8 minutes. Close and lock the lid. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to preheat and then 10 minutes to cook.
- When the cooking time is complete, do a natural pressure release for 12 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir. Place the lid back on (powered off) and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and transfer the burrito mixture to serving bowls.
- Top with your favorite toppings like tomatoes, avocados, shredded cheese, etc.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the food, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve.
- Cooking Time: The Instant Pot requires an extra 10 minutes to reach pressure and an additional 12 minutes for a natural pressure release, in addition to the 8-minute cook time.
- Layer Ingredients Correctly: Ensuring the burrito ingredients are layered as instructed in the recipe is crucial for the best results.
- Ground Turkey Swap: Instead of ground turkey, use ground chicken, beef, or pork.
- Vegetarian Version: Turn this into a vegetarian burrito bowl by omitting the ground meat or swapping it with lentils or a plant-based meat alternative.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.