Cheesy Baked Chicken Parmesan is so tender, juicy, and crispy! This one-pan, 30-minute chicken dinner will have the whole family coming back for seconds.
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
Baked Chicken Parmesan is coated with a deliciously seasoned parmesan cheese crust, and topped with melty mozzarella and tangy marinara sauce. Okay, does that description have your mouth watering, or what?
This, my dear friends, is some serious and delicious comfort food. It is my husband’s favorite chicken recipe, and it is the only non-chicken-nugget chicken recipe that my older daughter will eat! I take that as a high compliment.
Back to this chicken… It is SO GOOD! The breading is not only crispy, but it’s also packed with amazing flavor, and the addition of fresh mozzarella adds a wonderful creaminess to the overall crunchy texture of the chicken. It may not sound like it, but this is actually a healthier version of chicken parmesan because it isn’t fried.
In conclusion, this is the perfect quick weeknight dinner!
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
You mean other than the melty mozzarella cheese? And the crispy crust on the chicken? Kidding. This chicken parmesan recipe is one of my favorite dinners to make because:
- It’s Quick: Yes, it takes an hour to make, but half of that time is baking time, which gives you time to prepare sides. So really, there’s only half an hour of prep work. And, by the time dinner is ready, your kitchen smells like heaven, which is always a plus.
- It’s Crispy: You might be thinking to yourself, how can this chicken be crispy if it’s not fried? I promise you, you will not miss your fryer or your pure olive oil – this healthier baked version of chicken parmesan is just as crispy as always! Trust in the breading process.
- It’s Simple Comfort Food: Don’t you love food that satisfies the stomach, but isn’t too difficult to make? This chicken recipe is totally within your grasp, even on a weeknight, and it pairs well with anything. Salad? Yep. Spaghetti? Definitely! Bread? You bet!
How to Make Chicken Parm
I’ve been going on and on about how easy this chicken parmesan recipe is… but don’t just take my word for it, see for yourself! Here’s what you’ll need to do to prepare this delicious Italian meal:
Preheat Oven to 400: Then, line a baking sheet with foil and set a cooling rack on top of it. Generously grease the cooling rack with cooking spray and set aside.
Prepare the Chicken: Lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
Prepare the Breading Stations: In a mixing bowl or plate, combine flours, basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated. Pour milk in a separate dish.
Bread the Chicken: Dip each chicken breast in the milk, then coat it with the flour mixture. Transfer chicken to previously prepared cooling rack. Generously grease chicken breasts with cooking spray.
Bake the Chicken: Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove from oven; evenly divide marinara sauce over each chicken breast, top with fresh rounds of mozzarella cheese, and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.
Tips for Success
Looking for a little extra help with your chicken parmesan? No worries, I’ve got some tips! Here are some tricks I have for getting crispy, delicious chicken parm every time I make it:
- Pound the Chicken Breast: Thin chicken cooks quicker, and it tastes great – especially when breaded! You can also cut your chicken breasts in half lengthwise, which will cut down on the amount of pounding you have to do.
- Can I Use Chicken Thighs? Yes. The chicken will likely be thicker in this case, though, so you may have to cook the meal for a little bit longer.
- Don’t Overbake the Chicken: It may become dry if you do this – even with all that sauce! Make sure that once your meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, you pull it out of the oven. A meat thermometer will come in handy.
Like I mentioned above, chicken parmesan can be served with almost anything! It is traditionally served with spaghetti or some other kind of pasta. But, I like to advise to keep it light, and serve it with a big green salad to round out the meal. Zucchini noodles could also be good! If you’re looking for more carbs, though, garlic bread is always a hit – and it’s a great way to use up that marinara sauce!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store your leftover chicken parmesan in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To reheat, pop it back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until warmed through. You can microwave it too, if you’re in a pinch, but the breading will be soggier this way.
Can I Freeze Extras?
Absolutely! Freeze your chicken parmesan in an airtight container for 1-2 months, and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before eating again.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup milk
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheet with foil and set a cooling rack on top of it.
- Generously grease cooling rack with cooking spray and set aside.
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
- In a mixing bowl or plate, combine flours, basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour milk in a separate dish.
- Dip each chicken breast in the milk, then coat it with the flour mixture.
- Transfer chicken to previously prepared cooling rack.
- Generously grease chicken breasts with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven; evenly divide marinara sauce over each chicken breast, top with fresh rounds of mozzarella cheese, and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
More Chicken Dinner Ideas
Chicken dinners are so easy and delicious! Here are some more of my favorites: