Baked Chicken Parmesan – Tender, juicy, crispy and cheesy baked chicken parmesan! It’s a one-pan, 30 minute chicken parmesan dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Baked Chicken Parmesan coated with a deliciously seasoned parmesan cheese crust and topped with melty mozzarella and tangy marinara sauce.
Did I mention it was baked?!
This, my dear friends, is some serious and delicious comfort food. It is my husband’s favorite chicken recipe, and it is the only non-chicken-nugget chicken recipe that my older daughter will eat!
This recipe was originally published on August 4, 2013, and updated with new photos and content on May 8, 2018.
Also, Hi! Happy weekend!!
And! Do I look like a mother of a 4-year old?! Say No. Because I look and feel 22. And at 22, I was in college, being very 22-ish.
But, the truth is, I AM a mother of a super cool, uber smart, beautiful girl that turns 4 today! Happy Birthday, ANA!
Speaking of hunger. I could really dig into this Baked Chicken Parmesan right about now. It’s honestly better than any restaurant’s chicken parmesan, you’ll see.
Let’s discuss HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BAKED CHICKEN PARMESAN
- First we are going to make the breading by combining a bit of all purpose flour with corn flour, plus dried basil, grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. In a separate dish, we will add some milk and use it to dip in the chicken.
- To prepare the chicken breasts, please lightly pound each chicken breast to an even thickness of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
- Dip the chicken in milk, then coat it with the flour mixture, and finally transfer each chicken breast to a cooking/cooling rack set over a foil lined baking sheet.
- Pop the chicken in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through. The thinner the chicken, the less time it will need to cook.
- Remove from oven and add marinara sauce over each chicken breast; top with fresh rounds of mozzarella cheese, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.
This chicken… Oh my gosh, the chicken… It is SO GOOD! The breading is not only crispy, but it is also packed with amazing flavor, and the addition of fresh mozzarella adds a wonderful creaminess to the overall crunchy texture of the chicken.
It is also a healthier version of Chicken Parmesan because it isn’t fried, and it’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Since most times chicken parmesan is served with spaghetti, I advise to keep it light and serve with a big green salad to round out the meal.
Make this. Fo’ reals. It will become a part of your weekly menu.
- Pepperoni Chicken Parmesan
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Saucy Chicken
- Chicken in Tomato Sauce
- One Pot Italian Chicken Tortellini Recipe
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Baked Chicken Parmesan - Tender, juicy, crispy and cheesy baked chicken parmesan! It's a one-pan, 30 minute chicken parmesan dinner the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup milk
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400.
Line baking sheet with foil and set a cooling rack on top of it.
Generously grease cooling rack with cooking spray and set aside.
Lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
In a mixing bowl or plate, combine flours, basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Pour milk in a separate dish.
Dip each chicken breast in the milk, then coat it with the flour mixture.
Transfer chicken to previously prepared cooling rack.
Generously grease chicken breasts with cooking spray.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Remove from oven; evenly divide marinara sauce over each chicken breast, top with fresh rounds of mozzarella cheese, and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.