This is a sponsored post by Hunt’s tomatoes. All opinions are 100% my own.
Taco Soup Recipe – All you will need is about 30 minutes for this delicious and comforting one pot Taco Soup packed with taco meat, tomatoes, and beans! SO easy and great for weeknights!
Heeeey, friends!! Good news: ONE POT and 30 MINUTES to a happy tummy!! Bad news: I ate it all. WE! WE ate it all…
Have I shared with you that we eat soup before dinner almost always? Don’t freak out! This doesn’t mean I make soup every day. It means, I make that pot of soup on Sunday or Monday, and then we reheat small portions of it throughout the week. It’s a cultural thing, but also, it’s a sure fire way to make sure we don’t overdo it with the main course which almost always includes a few extra calories that we could have done without.
BUT, what happens when you want your main course to be A soup!?! You make TACO SOUP!
This soup recipe is for hungry people, like yours truly, who want HEALTHY and EASY and HOMEMADE food sitting on their table, every single night. Including, Fridays.
My Mama always taught me, “for the sake of convenience, and for the sake of homemade meals, PLEASE, always always alwaaaaays have on hand; lean ground meat, Hunt’s canned tomatoes, and beans!”. Clearly, I’m a good listener, because I include all three of those things in our Taco Soup.
Sidenote: Dear Hunt’s, I love you and thank you for not adding artificial ingredients, GMO products, lye*, or other unnecessary things to your dreamy tomatoes. XO
What you, my dear friends, might not know is that Hunt’s cans their diced, whole, and stewed tomatoes within hours after harvest. Prior to canning, though, Hunt’s peels their diced, whole, AND stewed tomatoes using a process called FlashSteam™ which uses steam from simple hot water. Just. water. There are companies that use *lye (a chemical) to peel their tomatoes, and Hunt’s just uses FlashSteam™! *Lye peeling is recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes. But if you can just use water, why even bother with chemicals?! Word.
Favorite thing about simple recipes like this is that the higher the quality of the ingredients, such as our tomatoes, the fewer ingredients you will need. And this whole dinner was like a delicious taco combination, which is the best news ever, but because it was in the form of soup, it made life much more comfortable and cozier. It gave us all a feel-good bear hug at the end of a long, exhausting day full of cleaning, laundrying, schooling, homeworking, and dinnering. <<< real verbs.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound 98% lean ground turkey meat or lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Hunt's diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 can (10 ounces) Red Chile Enchilada Sauce (mild or hot)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups low sodium , fat free chicken broth
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro , for garnish
- dollops of sour cream , for garnish
- 1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese , for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot or a Dutch oven.
- Add onions and garlic; saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in ground meat and season with cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper; stir occasionally to break up the meat and cook for 6 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Add tomatoes, green chiles, enchilada sauce and black beans; stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat and ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, sour cream, and cheese.
WW Smart Points: 6
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hunt’s . The opinions and text are all mine.
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy