Pineapple Upside Down Cake – The best, most tender and delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a classic American Cake made with a moist cake batter and a flavorful buttery topping of pineapple rings.
Spring, is that you out there?!? Holy sun, I missed you!
This morning I woke up at my usual 6-ish, had a cup of coffee, a bowl of cereal, and I took off. I was standing in front of the grocery store waiting for them to open at 7 am. I was there to pick up whatever I could find that would remind my kitchen of warmer days.
I saw some apples and pears. I also tasted the berries… um, no taste!
I kept moving along the produce aisle and I laid my eyes on some pineapples. They looked really good – perfect golden color, they were firm, and they had a yummy sweet smell. I put one in my basket, paid for it, and came home.
What are the ingredients for pineapple upside down cake?
- fresh pineapple
- light brown sugar
- pineapple juice
- baking powder
How do you make a pineapple upside down cake?
Mix melted butter with the brown sugar and pineapple juice.
Pour the brown sugar mixture in the bottom of a cake pan.
Arrange pineapple rings on top and set aside.
Stir together flour, salt, granulated sugar, and baking powder.
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Beat egg yolks until lemony yellow.
Stir in pineapple juice, vanilla, and melted butter.
Add this mixture to the flour mixture.
Gently fold in the egg whites.
Pour prepared batter over pineapple rings in the cake pan.
Bake for 30 minutes.
And once Ana went to take her nap, Mama made herself a fresh pot of coffee to enjoy with a piece of this amazing pineapple upside down cake! I just wish it was Sunday, my “Eat Whatever The Heck You Want Day”, so I could have a few more slices.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 fresh pineapple – peeled , cored, and sliced into rings
- 12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted, divided
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice , divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs , separated
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter, but keep the sticks separated. That is, melt 1 whole stick in one bowl, and the other half of a stick in another bowl.
- Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9 inch cake pan.
- Mix half of a stick of butter (4 tablespoons), melted, with the brown sugar and add in 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Arrange the pineapple rings on top of the brown sugar mixture. Set pan aside.
- Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the whites until stiff.
- Beat the yolks until lemony yellow.
- Stir in the remaining pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove it by covering up the pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.