Easy, make-ahead Baked French Toast soaked in a fragrant maple syrup and cream cheese mixture creates the most delicious breakfast bake! Enjoy this decadent French Toast with a finish of more maple syrup, a pile of fresh strawberries, and nuts of your choice.
BAKED FRENCH TOAST
A really easy-to-make French Toast Breakfast for company. Just throw it together the night before, put it in the fridge, place it in the oven the following morning and you’re good to go!
Assembling the ingredients the night before in a casserole dish turns this breakfast into a major timesaver, especially when expecting Holiday guests. I’m thinking MOTHER’S DAY! EASTER! CHRISTMAS! 🙌
Awaiting a full breakfast, specifically for overnight guests, preparing ANY dish in advance is a lifesaver. And, this Baked French Toast is ALL of that, plus a bag of amazing deliciousness! Having nearly everything prepared beforehand makes all the difference. You’ll be stress-free and enjoying your first round of mimosas in no time.
However, if you need to make it the morning OF, you can just prepare it all and let it sit about 20 minutes before baking. Baked French Toast is perfect for an effortless holiday breakfast, but also great for a weekend breakfast with the family.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED FRENCH TOAST
This French Toast recipe makes an easy breakfast or brunch, and it’s prepared with simple pantry ingredients.
- First, you will need to cream 8-ounces of cream cheese using an electric mixer.
- Then, you’ll want to add in your eggs and mix until combined.
- Add whole milk, maple syrup, vanilla, orange zest, and cinnamon; continue to mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Grease your baking dish and layer the bread slices.
- Pour the prepared cream cheese mixture over the bread slices.
- Cover and set in the fridge over night.
- Pull it out of the fridge and let stand 15 minutes on the counter.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, garnish with powdered sugar, nuts, and berries; serve.
This casserole is filled with everything you love about the classic, custard-soaked French toast, but it’s baked instead of fried.
It’s so flavorful, and it takes all of 10 minutes to prepare the night before. Baked French Toast makes the perfect breakfast for Christmas morning, or other special Holidays and get-togethers.
MORE FRENCH TOAST BREAKFAST FAVORITES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 loaf stale bread, like a large French baguette , sliced (about 14 slices)
- powdered sugar
- sliced strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- chopped nuts, for garnish (optional)
- maple syrup for serving, (optional)
Butter or lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Arrange bread slices in prepared baking dish; set aside.
Cream the cream cheese in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer.
Add in the eggs and continue to mix until combined.
Add milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and orange zest; continue to mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Pour prepared cream cheese mixture evenly over bread.
Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight. If making the same day, let it stand 20 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Remove baking dish from refrigerator; let stand on kitchen counter for 15 minutes.
Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, or until set and top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
You can also garnish with strawberries, nuts, and serve with a side of maple syrup.
This recipe post was first published on April 3, 2011. Updated content and photos on May 1, 2019.