These Nutella French Toast Roll Ups are so easy to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert. It’s all your favorite french toast flavors plus Nutella rolled up and sprinkled with sugar!
Nutella French Toast Roll Ups
Sooooo… Do you like your mother-in-law?
Come on, be honest!
I like mine. For the most part.
Then there’s the other part; “Oh no, my son has to work!?! 8 hours a day?! But, what about his nap?? Oh my poor boy…”
Or, “Did you eat your dinner, son?” .. He’s 35.
And she lives oceans away. Literally. ~I’m doing the Mike Seaver “YES!!!”~
Okay. Let’s be nice.
She, for the most part, is a great lady, and she is one of the best cooks I have met. Seriously, this lady can bring it in the kitchen.
Back in September of 2011 we went to visit them in Macedonia. The day after we arrived, we woke up to a buffet of every Macedonian breakfast dish that exists; cheese spreads, smoked meats, fresh eggs, as well as savory french toast (except we don’t call it French Toast – we just call it Fried Bread :)) and these Nutella French Toast Rollups.
This Is Easily One Of My Favorite French Toast Recipes
At first, when she brought them out, I thought they were churros. Don’t they look like churros?
I was so impressed with this version of French Toast because this was just plain delicious. I mean, these rollups are amazing. Or more like aaaaaahhhhhhmazing! I just kept stuffing my face with them. I probably had about six, and I only stopped because we were not at home, where I would have had the entire plate. Secondly, they are very easy to put together, and they take just a few minutes to cook.
Last week, while Skyping with her, I asked if she would mind if I shared her recipe on here. I think she flew to cloud nine when I said that. She was really excited, and she felt honored. I think my the-best-daughter-in-law duty is done for the next year or so.
I am going to give you a recipe for 12 of these, but I think you should double it if your household includes more than one person. Just sayin’. And, you’ll see. You will probably have to get up half-way through breakfast to make some more.
Another thing. Do you have vanilla sugar? Because if you do, you will want to use that instead of the powdered sugar. Trust me.
These Nutella French Toast Roll Ups are so easy to make and perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert. It's all your favorite french toast flavors plus Nutella rolled up and sprinkled with sugar!
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 sandwich-bread slices (I use Whole Wheat by Pepperidge Farms)
- 4 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1/4 cup Vanilla Sugar
- You can use Powdered Sugar
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, heavy cream, egg, and vanilla; set aside.
- Cut the crust from the bread.
- Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin; make them as flat as possible.
- Spread Nutella on each bread slice and roll up the bread, lightly pinching the seam to secure.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan and melt over medium heat.
- Dip the rollups in the egg mixture, and place in frying pan. You will most likely have to do this in batches.
- Cook until golden brown, about two minutes; flip to the other side and continue to cook for another minute or so.
- Add the rest of the butter, and continue to cook until all rollups are done.
- If you have Vanilla Sugar, put it in a shallow dish, and once the rollups are done cooking, roll them in the sugar until covered.
- If you do not have Vanilla Sugar, dust the rollups with Powdered Sugar.
- Serve immediately.