This easy Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe makes the most tender, smoky chicken breasts topped with ham and gooey cheese. It’s the best quick-fix dinner idea for meat lovers!
The Tastiest Way to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
I absolutely love grilled chicken, but it’s even better when it’s perfectly seasoned and topped with ham & cheese. You can make this recipe on your trusty outdoor grill or inside on your stovetop grill pan. It’s such a comforting dinner that you can have on the table in less than 30 minutes. Everyone will clear their plates!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Traditionally speaking, chicken cordon bleu is an oven-baked chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese. This tasty and way easier version trades the oven for the grill with the ham and cheese on top of the chicken breasts.
Grilling your chicken gives it an irresistible smoky flavor that goes so well with the ham. This recipe is great for busy weeknight dinners or weekends grilling in your backyard!
This fancy-looking chicken dinner is super simple to make with less than 10 ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken Breasts: Use boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried Herbs: I like to use a combination of basil and oregano.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Sweet Paprika
- Swiss Cheese: Feel free to use your favorite cheese instead of Swiss if you’d like!
- Deli Ham
How to Grill Chicken Cordon Bleu
On an Outdoor Grill
- Prepare Grill & Chicken: Preheat your outdoor grill to medium, about 350˚F to 375˚F. Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil.
- Add Seasonings: Season chicken with salt, pepper, dried herbs, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Grill Chicken: Transfer chicken breasts to the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip over and continue to cook for 5 to 7 more minutes, or until cooked through. Your chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165˚F. Cooking time also depends on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Add Ham & Cheese: Top chicken breasts with a slice of cheese, then a slice of ham.
- Continue Cooking: Cover the grill and cook for 2 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve: Remove your chicken from the grill and serve!
On a Stovetop Grill Pan
- Prepare Grill Pan: Heat your grill pan over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Heat Oil: Lower heat to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan; swirl around to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- Cook Chicken: Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 6 minutes on one side; flip and continue to cook for 6 more minutes, or until done.
- Add Ham & Cheese: When cooked through, add a slice of cheese and ham on top of each chicken breast; cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from Heat: Let your chicken breasts stand for about 5 minutes and then serve.
Tips for the Best Chicken Dinner Ever
- Use Thinly Sliced Ham: Ham that is thinly sliced will warm up easier on your chicken and make for the most delicious chicken cordon bleu.
- Consider Chicken Breasts Size: Note that thicker chicken breasts will need longer to cook while smaller ones will cook faster. I suggest to use a meat mallet and pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use an Internal Read Thermometer: To check the temperature of your chicken while it’s cooking – your best bet is to use an internal read thermometer. When the chicken’s temperature registers at 165˚F, add your ham and cheese.
- Opt for High Quality Ham & Cheese: You can totally taste the difference between cheaper and more expensive hams and cheeses. I highly recommend spending a few extra bucks on the good stuff. Your taste buds will thank you!
This flavor-packed chicken dinner recipe is amazing on its own, but you can always take your meal to the next level by adding another element.
- Potatoes: Who doesn’t love chicken and potatoes? This recipe goes great with my easy Garlic Herb Grilled Potatoes. They’re made in foil packets for a simple, mess-free side.
- Roasted Vegetables: You can never go wrong with roasted veggies! I recommend making this quick and easy Roasted Vegetable Salad for a tasty, healthy and well-balanced meal.
- Salad: There are so many different salads you could make with this chicken recipe. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, try my Mango Spinach Salad with Honey Lime Dressing. It’s super fun and summer-y.
- Slushies: Speaking of summer, my Berry Wine Slushies are so fun to make, and they go amazingly well with this chicken cordon bleu!
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Lemongrass Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Oven Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Skewers
Tools Used in this Recipe
This easy Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe makes the most tender, smoky chicken breasts topped with ham and gooey cheese. It's the best quick-fix dinner idea for meat lovers!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs, (I use a combination of basil and oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices deli ham
Preheat an outdoor grill to MEDIUM, about 350˚F to 375˚F, and rub the chicken breasts with olive oil.
Season chicken with salt, pepper, dried herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Oil your grill grates.
Transfer chicken breasts to the hot oiled grill and cook for 5 minutes; flip over and continue to cook for 5 to 7 more minutes, or until cooked through. Chicken is done when internal temperature registers at 165˚F on an internal read thermometer.
NOTE: If there's any resistance from the chicken breast when trying to flip it over, don't force it; just give it a bit more time to cook, then try again.
Top cooked through chicken breasts with a slice of cheese and a slice of ham.
Cover the grill and cook for 2 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from grill and let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Heat a grill pan over high heat for 3 minutes.
Lower heat to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan; swirl around to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 6 minutes on one side; flip and continue to cook for 6 more minutes, or until done. Note that thicker chicken breasts will need longer to cook.
When cooked through, add a slice of cheese and ham on top of each chicken breast; cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from heat and let the chicken breasts stand for a few minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
NET CARBS: 1 g