Tender, flavorful, and easy Chili Lime Steak Fajitas prepared in foil packs! This no fuss, fresh, and seriously delicious steak fajitas recipe is sure to be a major hit!
Chili Lime Steak Fajitas are the absolute BEST Fajitas I’ve ever had. They taste exactly like the ones at Chili’s. Marinated in lime juice, garlic, and cumin, these fajitas make a mighty fine weeknight dinner that you can have on the table in 30 minutes. OR 3 hours, if you have time to marinate the steak. My Steak Fajita Roll Ups and the Steak and Potato Foil Packs are a couple of my readers’ favorite recipes, so I was really excited to get those two together, in some form or another, and get to cooking and eating.
- For the Marinade: fresh lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- For the Fajitas: flank steak, bell peppers, yellow onion, olive oil, dried oregano, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- For the (optional) Sides: flour tortillas, avocado slices, lime wedges, sour cream, and cilantro
How To Make Steak Fajitas in Foil Packs
What we’ve got here are two of my favorite things coming together in holy food matrimony: Steak Fajitas and foil Packs! They are exceptionally easy to make and are out-of-this-world amazing! Prepared with peppers and onions, it’s an instant classic.
- Marinade: Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Pour the marinade over the sliced steak and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. If you don’t have time to let the steak sit for that long, let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Foils: Cut up four 12 x 12 aluminum foil sheets and set aside.
- Veggies: Slice some peppers and onions and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oregano.
- Fill the Foils: Portion out the peppers mixture and arrange in the center of each foil sheet. Portion out the steak slices and arrange over the vegetables. Close the foils and wrap them up tightly around the steak and vegetables.
- Oven: Cook at 425˚F for 15 minutes or until done. I suggest cooking for 13 minutes in the oven, then opening up the packets and putting them under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get that bit of browning on top.
- Or Grill: You can also grill the steak fajitas foil packets over high heat for around 7 minutes per side.
What To Serve with Fajitas
Steak fajitas are a flavorful and versatile dish. You could serve the fajitas over flour tortillas or lettuce wraps. Break out of tradition and try them with lavash bread! A simple side of rice, whether Mexican rice or this fiesta rice, pairs well with the rich flavors of the fajitas. A fresh heirloom tomato salad or this simple tabbouleh salad can also balance the richness of all the flavors.
More Fajitas Recipes
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Chicken and Rice Fajitas in Foil
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
- Homemade Fajitas Seasoning Mix
Chili Lime Steak Fajitas in Foil Packs
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips (any color)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- flour tortillas
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place the steak slices in a large mixing bowl, a baking dish, or a freezer bag.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Pour the marinade over the steak slices, mix around until evenly coated, and cover. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Remove steak from fridge and set aside to come to room temperature.
- Cut up four 12 x 12 aluminum foil sheets and set aside.
- Place the sliced bell peppers and sliced onions in a large mixing bowl and season with olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper; mix to combine.
- Portion out the peppers mixture and arrange in the center of each foil sheet.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; portion out the steak slices and arrange over the vegetables inside the foil packs. Discard the marinade.
- Close the foils and wrap them up tightly around the steak and vegetables.
- Arrange the foil packs on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes or until done. I suggest cooking for 13 minutes in the oven, then opening up the packets and putting them under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get that bit of browning on top.
- You can also grill the steak fajitas foil packs over high heat for around 7 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer should read 125˚F in the center for medium rare and 135˚F for medium.
- Remove from oven or grill and serve with flour tortillas, avocado slices, lime wedges, sour cream, etc.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.