Chicken Ratatouille Recipe – A quick and delicious 30-minute, one-skillet meal packed with fresh garden vegetables, herbs, and chicken.
Or, the meal you make after raiding your parents’ veggie garden.
Hi Hi Hey! We’re half way to Friday and I’m happy about it. Normally, I like to take it slow and enjoy THE day, buuuut. Kids need to go back to school. Like, stat. The sooner August 18th arrives, the better for us all. God help me.
There, I said it. Please don’t kill me, but it’s 12 hours a day of:
“Barbie is miiiiiine!”
“WHY wasn’t I at your weddingggggg???!”
“Let it go, LET IT GOOOOO!”
“I hate my sister! Why is she older than me?”
… you want me to go on? Yeah, me either. And that’s just the first 15 minutes of the day, during breakfast.
Wanna know, though, what keeps them busy? Chopping up veggies! WITH a dull knife. Like, super dull. And I did that on purpose. It took them an hour to chop up all of this. AND… they loved it! It was the quietest 1 hour in 3 months.
Right before all the dicing and chopping, we were at Baba’s (Grandma) running through her beautiful garden. From basil, to peppers, to zucchini, to parsley, to tomatoes, to cucumbers, etc… she has every.thing.
This Chicken Ratatouille is what my mom would make for us couple of times a week during the summer months. It can be ready in about 25 minutes with very minimal prep – maybe it isn’t minimal if it took 2 little ones an hour to chop ’em up, but whatever – and it only requires simple, fresh ingredients, and it’s healthy. I mean, that’s all veggies on that plate! plus chicken. and brown rice underneath. BUT, to feel like a good, solid, wholesome dinner with protein and veggies annnnd also still be saucy and delicious? ‘Nuff said. It’s just how we rollll.
An additional bonus? One skillet and a chopping board. No mess, easy clean-up, wholesome meal. We are WINNING!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 yellow onion , sliced
- 3 zucchini (about 1 pound), sliced into half moons
- 1 eggplant , diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper , sliced
- 1 green bell pepper , sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 tomatoes , sliced
- 8 to 10 basil leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley , chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to skillet and cook until browned on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add onion, zucchini, eggplant, and peppers; season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil and parsley and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Serve on its own or over brown rice, quinoa, etc...
WW Smart Points: 3
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy