Macedonian Dinner Rolls with Feta Cheese – Buttery and soft dinner rolls filled with feta cheese and topped with sesame seeds.
So you wanna boast about your domesticated self? In our culture, this is where it starts – with Kifli (Кифли). This is the stuff wives-to-be are supposed to know! Yeah right! The correct word is were – baby boomers changed all that – phewww – Thanks guys!
But, in all honesty, if you’re going to bake in a Macedonian household, then you better know how to make homemade bread first, then Kifli, then Maznik, and finally, the big star, Zelnik, which is a layered pastry dough stuffed with greens. Yep, all of that makes a good Macedonian housewife.
In time for big holidays, birthdays, Saint Patron Days, and so forth, Kifli, or Dinner Rolls with Sesame Seeds and Feta Cheese, are almost always the centerpiece on that table, or somewhere very near to it. What’s good about these rolls is that they are very versatile. You can stuff them with feta cheese, or even meat, have them plain, or dunk them in some homemade yogurt. They are enjoyed as a starter, with a salad, or as a dinner roll.
I prefer to snack on them… all day long. I think I ate one entire batch before they were finally done. Ana helped.
I have a total of nine different recipes for these. Everyone always has the “best” Kifli recipe – I just jot down their version and give it a go as soon as I get a moment. This particular one that I’m going to share with you is probably the easiest, and, in my opinion, the tastiest. The method of preparation may seem a bit off, but just follow the recipe and don’t question it. In the end, you will have about 40 soft, delicious Kifli filled to the rim with feta cheese! Make sure to share with your family.
- • 2 cups lukewarm milk
- • 1 package active dry yeast (I use Red Star)
- • 6 teaspoons sugar
- • 2 tablespoons flour
- • 1 tablespoon baking powder
- • 2 teaspoons salt
- • ½ cup vegetable oil
- • 4 eggs , separated
- • 6 cups flour
- • 1 to 2 cups of crumbled feta cheese
- • 1 stick of butter
- • Sesame seeds
- • In a large, deep mixing bowl pour in lukewarm milk.
- • Stir in the sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and the yeast.
- • Let stand for ten minutes.
- • Add in the baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, egg whites, and 6 cups of flour.
- • Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well incorporated, you may need to get your hands in there towards the end, then bring the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- • Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- • Put the dough in a large bowl, cover it, and let it stand for one hour.
- • Preheat oven at 375.
- • Bring the dough back to your working area and knead it again for another 5 minutes. You want to make sure that all those air bubbles are out.
- • Form the dough into a log and cut it into 5 or 6 equal pieces.
- • Take one piece (cover the rest with a kitchen towel), and roll it out to a size as big as a medium pizza.
- • With a knife, cut the rolled out dough into 8 equal slices.
- • Place a tablespoon of cheese closer to the widest point of the slice.
- • Beginning at the widest point of the slice start rolling it towards the narrowest point.
- • Place the croissants on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- • Continue to do this with the rest of the dough.
- • In a small mixing bowl, whisk the 4 egg yolks.
- • Brush each croissant with the egg yolk.
- • Top each croissant with sesame seeds.
- • Put 4 or 5 small pieces of butter throughout the baking sheet.
- • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- • Cover with a kitchen towel while they are cooling.
- • Serve immediately or store in an airtight container; freeze for up to 3 months.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 6
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy