This Cheesy Potato Gratin with Turkey Sausage and Mushrooms is an amazing side dish with potatoes, turkey sausage, and mushrooms. The cheese on top takes it OVER the top!
OMG! Have I got a potato side-dish for your Easter lunch! Or do you do Easter dinner? We do lunch. Mid-day, maybe around 3ish. Cannot WAIT!
P.S. Happy Friday to you all, and to those celebrating, I wish you a blessed Good Friday.✞
Back to the taters.
One word about this potato gratin? Ok, 3 words? must.have.now. right now.
CHEESY POTATO GRATIN
Would you believe that this side dish is sort of on the right side of healthy? It is! There’s no cream, no eggs, no butter… yes, there’s cheese, but we gotta give in somewhere, right?!? Please say RIGHT!
OH! Speaking of no cream ‘n stuff. I asked Google a gazillion times if this was a gratin or a casserole or a mishmash of something or other, and Google’s answer was basically like, if there ain’t no cream, it ain’t a casserole. And if there’s browned cheese on top, it’s a gratin. ♀️ SO, there you go. Naming recipes is my hobby…
One more thing about that; my taste-tester, A.K.A. my mom, told me that I should call it deconstructed moussaka. Macedonian moussaka is a casserole with layers of potatoes and ground beef.
I say call it what you will, but make sure you make it because it’s crazy good!
HOW TO MAKE POTATO GRATIN
I made this potato gratin because it’s loaded with mushrooms and meat, and those are great things to have on your plate, or in your life.
We start this dish by sauteeing everything, first. There’s onions, garlic, mushrooms, turkey sausage, and of course, potatoes. All that goes into a skillet and is cooked until everything is softened-up a bit.
The mixture is then transferred to a pretty oval baking dish, it’s topped with cheese, and baked for 45 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Don’t be afraid of the liquid up there – it’s just chicken broth, not oil.
Now please go and bake it until bubbly, scoop it onto a plate, top with more cheese, and devour.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
An amazing side dish with potatoes, turkey sausage, and mushrooms baked to a delicious perfection. The cheese on top takes it OVER the top!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1/2 pound ground turkey OR turkey sausage removed from casings
- 2 yellow onions , diced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 pounds small tri-colored potatoes , quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat half tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey sausage to the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove sausage from pan, drain, and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining olive oil.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes have browned.
- Stir in sausage and broth and remove from heat.
- Transfer the mixture to previously prepared baking dish.
- Top with cheese and cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
WW SMART POINTS: 8
- Adapted from "Cooking Light: All Time Top Rated Recipes"
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy