A delicious and warm Authentic Irish Coffee made with whiskey, coffee, and heavy cream.

Irish Coffee Diethood Authentic Irish Coffee

pinit fg en rect gray 20 Authentic Irish Coffee

Freezing temperatures require two things; coffee and alcohol. Think of how natural it is to combine those two things together…

On a different note, I have nothing but envy for those of you that live in a warm climate. This 100-below-zero-thing gots to go! It did warm up a bit, but still. I’m over it. I’m ready to go back to sippin’ on a Strawberry Pom Mojito or a Citrus Mint Spritzer. (SO GOOD!)

…but until then…

I made this coffee 32.8 times in that 3-day-blizzard we had some two weeks ago. I was warm and drunk the entire time. Just kidding. Sort of… icon wink Authentic Irish Coffee

I also sang my heart out, and danced around to Story of My Life by One Direction

Okay. Truth be told, yes, I danced around to, aaaand sang my heart out to The Right Stuff by NKOTB.

Hey man, there’s no way I’m gonna go through life without introducing my kids to the love of my life, Joey McIntyre. ♥ >>—> ♥

There’s also that other love of my life - in case you hadn’t noticed, my love for coffee is quite deep. However, a splash of whiskey, from time to time, is also very, very welcome.

Authentic Irish Diethood Authentic Irish Coffee

Before you get all nervous on me and start screaming about what the deal is with this authentic thing and Irish Coffee, let me tell ya. The deal is big. It’s huge! (not so much) The deal is in the cream. It’s about how you pour the cream so it floats on top. That’s all.

I first had a “real” Irish Coffee in this small, hole in the wall, Irish pub in Chicago. What caught my attention was the cream on top. I was like, saaaaay whaaaaat?! That’s not how they do it at “Applegeez”! How did you do that? That’s when the nice bartender man showed me how to make the cream float on top by holding the spoon upside down.

He also said that you should only use Irish Whiskey. With a side of very black coffee. And a glass mug with a handle.

The End.

Authentic Irish Coffee Diethood Authentic Irish Coffee

Enjoy your weekend! And this recipe, too!! xoxo

P.S. My birthday is on Monday. I’m expecting presents. icon wink Authentic Irish Coffee

follow me on pinterest button Authentic Irish Coffee

Authentic Irish Coffee

Yield: Makes 1 Serving

Authentic Irish Diethood Recipe Authentic Irish Coffee

A delicious and warm Authentic Irish Coffee made with whiskey, coffee, and heavy cream.

• Glass mug with handle
  • hot water
  • 6-ounces brewed black coffee
  • 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons Irish Whiskey
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

• Fill the mug with hot water and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Empty water from mug and add brewed coffee and stir in sugar.
  • Stir in whiskey.
  • Place heavy cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until frothy, but pourable. You can also use an electric mixer.
  • Hold a spoon upside down over the mug and slowly pour the cream over the spoon, allowing the cream to float on top of the coffee.
  • Serve.

Notes

RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD

Authentic Irish Coffee

More Coffee Drinks:

Hot Chocolate Diethood Authentic Irish Coffee

Spicy Hot Chocolate Mocha

Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha Latte 682x1024 Authentic Irish Coffee

Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha Latte

Chocolate and Vanilla Eiskaffee Diethood Authentic Irish Coffee

Chocolate and Vanilla Eiskaffee

pixel Authentic Irish Coffee

20 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Nancy January 24, 2014 at 4:03 AM - Reply

Happy belated b’day Kate. I hope those presents came flooding in.
    It has been extremely warm Down Under in Oz, however I could certainly down this Irish coffee right now.

2. Valerie January 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM - Reply

It’s a balmy 2 F today. I need this, ASAP! :p

3. mjskit January 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM - Reply

With temperatures like that I would definitely be drinking several cups of these coffees! YUM! Speaking of cups, I recognize those cups. Is that a sign that I should make this coffee? First I need some real Irish whiskey and heavy cream. Do it right or not at all. :)

4. Heather @ Sugar Dish Me January 20, 2014 at 6:19 AM - Reply

Drunk = warm = awesome.
    This is gorgeous. I’ll have 4, please.
    Annnnd it’s Monday so Happiest Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Emily @ Life on Food January 19, 2014 at 5:40 AM - Reply

I cannot think of a better way to get through winter. This is like a tropical destination in your house. OK not really but it helps.

6. Laura Dembowski January 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM - Reply

I think I just walk around muttering about warmth and sunshine and California and Florida all the time. And were getting another arctic blast :( I’m not typically a coffee drinker but I need this!

7. Ramona January 18, 2014 at 6:46 AM - Reply

Gotta love an hot Irish drink… looks amazing. :)

8. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM - Reply

Is it too early to start my day off with a cup of this? No? Good! Heading to the kitchen!

9. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM - Reply

I don’t drink coffee but I would definitely drink this!

10. Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM - Reply

Yum, I’m pretty sure I would drink way too many of these! ;)

11. Deanna January 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM - Reply

I’m so over this cold too Kate! I live by the lake so it’s even worse!

I LOVE Irish Coffee! I get those all the time in the wintertime because I can’t down ice cold booze in the Winter, just can’t!! And be proud because some restaurants in Chicago don’t know how to make it which is so bizzarre-they should all learn how! Sheesh lol.

Hope you are planning something fun for your birthday. We got so lucky being born in the Winter didn’t we? lol.

12. Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines January 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM - Reply

I’m in that midway place. It gets cold, but not cold enough that I would want to move to Florida. But, and this is a big but, it’s definitely cold enough for a mug of Irish coffee (maybe two).

13. A_Boleyn January 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM - Reply

Oh…my…goodness. They all look delicious. Especially, the very last one. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel. yum

14. DessertForTwo January 17, 2014 at 6:39 AM - Reply

We pretty much spent the polar vortex warm and drunk, too! haha We stocked up on wine, and popped our first bottle before lunch. It was a mini vacation…although, we still had to shovel the driveway..