This homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe is so easy! Make your own Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte at home! It’s SO delicious, and the best part is this DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte does have any artificial flavors or colors.
AN EASY PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE RECIPE
Hello, friends! Hello, Fall! Hello, pumpkin!
Raise your hand if you’ve visited Starbucks thrice this week JUST to get your hands around a warm cup of their Pumpkin Spice Latte. I’m raising both hands… NOT!
I have yet to make it to Starbucks this season for their Fall celebrated latte. You might ask yourself why, why, oh why hasn’t she been to Starbucks yet?! Allow me to answer that question. I haven’t bought a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks since the very first sip I took back in 2011.
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
Pumpkin Spice Latte is a coffee drink made with a mix of steamed milk, espresso, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, sugar, and a topping of whipped cream.
Which brings me to my next point. Do you know how many Pumpkin Spice Lattes I can make for the price of one Starbucks Latte!? I don’t know. If you have the answer, please let me know.
All I know is that making this at home saves me time, money, and gas for my car. That’s important. Another good thing is that I can control the amount of coffee, the type of coffee, and the spices that end up in my cup.
The last time that I did go to Starbucks for this latte, I was pregnant and, among other things, I could not stand the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
Glad that’s over because my Pumpkin Spice Latte back then was just a Pumpkin Latte. No spice. Decaf. Skinny. 🙄
With all the requests I had for those baristas, the side of the Starbucks cup looked like my Christmas Wish List. 😀
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
You can either use your microwave to make this happen, or your stovetop. I go the stovetop route because I am quicker at removing the saucepan before the milk boils over. In the microwave I try to watch it closely, but it takes a millisecond for it to boil over and I end up crying over spilled milk. Literally.
Also, for those days when you feel like you had one too many beef tacos the night before, you can go ahead and lighten this up with skim milk. I sure do. Sometimes I even reach for the Almond or Coconut Milk thingamajig.
But then there are those days when I feel like, Daaaay-um I look good! And on those days I go all out; whole milk, heavy cream, whipped cream…
TIPS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- One other thing; these measurements are just something to start with. You can add more or less of the spice, vanilla, sugar… You can also substitute the pumpkin-pie spice with equal amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.
SIMILAR STARBUCKS LATTE RECIPES:
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- sugar, to taste
- whipped cream
- nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon, for garnish
- In a saucepan whisk together milk, pumpkin puree, and light brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until hot and steamy. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat, whisk in the pumpkin-pie spice and the vanilla.
- Whisk in the coffee and continue to whisk until frothy.
- Divide between two coffee mugs.
- Taste and adjust sweetness to taste.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
If using Microwave
- Pour the milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin-pie spice, and vanilla into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook for 1 minute to 1 minute 30, or until milk starts to rise up and is frothy.
- Pour into mug, add the coffee, garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon.
- Serve hot.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 7
- Pumpkin Spice Latte tastes best with Whole Milk, but you can use whatever you prefer.
- Add sugar to taste; if you like a sweeter coffee, stir in more sugar after you've heated up the milk mixture.
- If you want a stronger pumpkin flavor, add more pumpkin puree.
This is an older recipe from the Diethood Archives, now updated with fresh content and photos. Original post/recipe published on September 21, 2012.