Strawberry Crumble – Warm and nutty dessert combined with sweet strawberries and a crisp crumble topping.
Plus… it’s lightened-up, protein-ed up, AND fiber-ed up!
Healthy dessert?!? YUSSSS!
Happy Monday, you guys!! How was the weekend? Did you have the best Mother’s Day?!
Lemme tell you about mine…
I spent the entire morning explaining to a 5-year old why there isn’t a Day dedicated to kids. My answer was plain and simple, “Every day is Kid’s Day“.
Ooooh girrrrl! I had the wrong answer!
She started crying and demanding I call President Obama and TELL (not ask) him to dedicate a day to Kids. Her list of demands grew, asking that, “…all kids get a Barbie cake, Frozen powers… iPads for every kid in the entire world because every kid deserves to play games”… The mind of a Kindergartner. 😀
Later in the morning we went to my parent’s house and enjoyed this warm Strawberry Crumble for brunch, right after some bacon, eggs, and Mimosas. Me = Happy!
So now it’s Monday, and we very well know that all Mondays start with, “As of today, I’m on a diet”. Right?
Due to that reality, I wanted to share this lightened up sweetness with you because dessert. Trust me, it won’t be too long before you reach for something to calm down that sweet tooth.
HOW TO MAKE A STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE
This crumble is just a simple and sincere crumble. It starts with juicy strawberries, some sweet brown sugar, and a bit of butter. It’s topped with oats, cinnamon, almond flour, and baked to a crisp. That is, a crisp topping and a warm and juicy filling. AND? 140 calories per serving. AMEN to that!
Honestly? The sight of this sweet cake makes me want to make it again today and have it all to myself. 6 delicious servings just for me… but that would probably mess with my Monday diet plans. Damn serving suggestions!
Let’s just go and make this crumble with any sort of summer berries that you like because dessert is always our comfort.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Warm and nutty dessert combined with sweet strawberries and a crisp crumble topping.
- 6 cups (about 1-1/2 pounds) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar , divided
- 1/3- cup almond flour
- 1/3- cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter , cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly grease an oval baking dish or an 8-inch brownie dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the strawberries on the bottom of the dish and toss with lemon juice.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour and 1 tablespoon light brown sugar; mix until incorporated.
- Add the brown sugar mixture to the strawberries and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and remaining brown sugar.
- With your fingers, rub in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press mixture in between your fingers into small lumps and sprinkle over strawberries.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Optionally, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
WW SmartPoints: 6
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!