Healthy Apple and Zucchini Bread – Fluffy, moist, sweet and delicious whole wheat quick bread made with zucchini and apples.
Taking zucchini bread to extra delicious levels by adding apples, and coconut oil, and yogurt, and all sorts of tasty things!
Hey YA! Happy Monday! Look what I brought to the Monday Party: ZUCCHINI BREAD!
AND! Guess who has a 3rd zucchini-recipe in under 1 month on her blog?! THIS girl! Blame it on my Mama. Her garden has lost all control.
… just noticed that I got carried away with all those CAPS and exclamation points … sorry!
I also want to tell you about something super important. Well, important to me, that is.
Today is officially the first full week of school, and I now have a 2nd grader. ME!!! So weiiiirrrrd… in my head, I’m only in like, 7th grade? Okay, maybe 10th grade, but still… I have a kid. In school! Hold up. I have TWO kids! Only, Aleksandra is in pre-K, and I can handle that. For now.
This is Ana, my second grader. If you list back to my recipes in 2012, you will see where I cried my eyes out over Homemade Nutella and her first day at preschool. I remember, as soon as I came back from dropping her off, I ate that Nutella like it was nobody’s biznass. All my emotions were in that jar…
All my emotions, today, are in this bread. I packed up a slice of it for her to take to school, and I’m about to eat up the rest.
I had the idea for this loaf while I was napping. It came to me in a dream. No, really. This is what my dreams are made of: recipes. Sometimes I also see myself marrying NKOTB (all 5 of them) in my dreams, and then I wake up with a smile.
I tried to keep this zucchini bread pretty simple, but added a bit of pizzazz, if you will, by knocking out some of that white flour, adding in coconut oil and yogurt, plus a healthy dose of grated apples.
It took me two gos at this recipe, the first loaf yielding an odd texture and not enough sweetness, but my second try? Hold ME!
The smell, the taste, THE-EVERYTHING about this bread is pretty darn goooood.
My favorite part about this zucchini bread is that my kids love it. They also DO NOT KNOW about the green vegetable in there. That’s okay – they don’t ever need to know.
My second favorite part? It’s pretty much a healthy bite – butter and maple syrup not included – and I dig that, a lot.
My third favorite part? My last one, I promise! This is breakfast, it’s also a snack, it can be a dessert, it’s anything YOU want it to be. Make it, bake it, grab a cup of coffee and call your Mama over.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2- cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4- cup sugar
- 1/4- cup coconut oil , melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4- cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini), pat dry with paper towels
- 1 cup grated apples (about 1 apple)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle it with flour; shake off the excess and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined, and then on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the grated zucchini and apples.
- Pour the batter into the previously prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and let completely cool.
- Cut and serve.
WW Smart Points: 7
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!