Easy Chicken Adobo Recipe – Inspired by the Phillipine’s national dish, this garlicky, vinegary, sweet, and sour chicken adobo is so incredibly delicious and very easy to prepare!
Also, paleo-friendly! IF you’re into that sort of thing. I just call it, low-carb…? I clearly need to get with the 2017 lingo.
Buuut. HI YA! Happy Sunday! What are you up to? How are you doing? DO tell!
It’s Palm Sunday so I’ll be in the kitchen for most of the day preparing fish and stuff – I’m eyeing that Mediterranean Style Baked Tilapia 😍 Then, everyone will come over and eat up my 8-hour food preparation in like, 2 minutes… 5 tops. 😬
In the meantime, I just want and need to discuss THIS Chicken Adobo with YOU! 👍 This saucy, vinegary, garlicky deliciousness is to LIVE for!
You know those recipes we always go back to because they are just THAT darn good? THIS one is one of those recipes, at least for me. I like it with chicken legs (drumsticks) because you can hold it with your hands and just nibble out all of that amazing sauce down to the last drop. Ain’t gonna lie, I may not look cute doing it, but that’s the last thing I’m thinking about while enjoying my adobo sauce drenched chicken.
While Chicken Adobo may sound foreign and fancy and unapproachable to some, please let me assure you that this is very, very easy. I mean, do you expect anything more from me??? 😉 I worship one pot, 30 minute meals!
Checkit: You will need some soy sauce, of course, but please reach for the low sodium stuff. You’re also going to reach for the apple cider vinegar, some whole peppercorns, couple of bay leaves, and my favorite of all, garrrrlic!
All of that + a bit of sugar + chicken drumsticks will be combined in a large ziploc bag, and stored in the fridge for a couple of hours. You want all that flavor in there. TRUST ME. If you don’t have time, don’t worry, it’s still delish, but a bit of marinating doesn’t hurt one bit.
You are then going to pour out all those bag contents into a large nonstick pan and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
A little time (5 minutes) in the broiler and some sauce-reduction, and you’ve got this, boo!
Oh yeah. While all that is happening, please prepare some rice. Brown rice goes great!!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Easy Chicken Adobo Recipe
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- crushed red pepper , to taste (I use about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2 bay leaves
- cooked rice , for serving
- green onions , thinly sliced, for garnish
- Combine chicken, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, light brown sugar, peppercorns, red pepper, and bay leaves in a large ziploc bag; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pour contents of bag into a large nonstick pan or a dutch oven; set over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and continue to cook for 30 minutes, turning the drumsticks half-way through cooking.
- Preheat broiler.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; transfer drumsticks to prepared baking sheet and broil for 4 minutes, or until chicken is browned.
- In the meantime, increase heat to high and bring the remaining liquid in the pan to a boil.
- Continue to cook for about 8 minutes, or until reduced to maple syrup consistency.
- Remove chicken from broiler; transfer to a serving plate and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions.