Crispy on the outside, steamy on the inside, and lavishly seasoned with garlicky spices, these Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges are an addictive and healthy side you’ll make again and again!
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Oh, potato wedges, how I love thee. The crispy exterior, coated in savory seasonings is so deliciously satisfying, perfectly complementing the soft, steaming interior! Well, if you can do that with a regular potato, why not a sweet potato?
Sweet potatoes are so good for you, and so delicious, I’m always excited to serve them up, especially in fun ways like this (no offense, sweet potato casserole, I love you, too).
These wedges have that great sweet-and-salty appeal, thanks to the natural starchy sweetness of the potatoes plus the salty, garlicky seasoning blend on the outside.
The main ingredient here, obviously, is the sweet potato. When shopping, you might notice that there are a lot more varieties available than there were in past years. The cool thing about this recipe is that almost any variety will do, from purple to white to classic orange. Just be sure to choose evenly-shaped potatoes. Oddly-shaped potatoes are still delicious, don’t get me wrong, but they are harder to cut into wedges.
- Sweet Potatoes: You’ll need about a pound and a half of sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil: Two to three tablespoons, for tossing to coat.
- Italian Seasoning: I use a teaspoon of my favorite Italian seasoning blend, but you could substitute whatever seasonings you like.
- Garlic Powder & Chili Powder: One teaspoon of each really punches up the flavor here!
- Salt & Pepper: I like to use freshly ground pepper whenever possible.
How to Cut the Sweet Potatoes
- Cutting these guys is pretty easy, especially if you have a good, sharp knife. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, and then cut each quarter lengthwise in half again, to make eight wedges.
- Finally, if you want, you can cut all of those long wedges in half, crosswise, to make smaller wedges.
How to Make Sweet Potato Wedges in the Oven
It’s so easy to make these potato wedges in the oven. All you have to do is prep, season, and bake.
- Prep Baking Sheet: To keep cleanup to a minimum, line your baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place a wire rack over the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prep Sweet Potatoes: Cut your sweet potatoes lengthwise into 8 wedges and then, if you prefer, cut those wedges crosswise. Transfer wedges to the wire rack and set aside.
- Season Wedges: In a bowl, combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Brush this mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss until they’re evenly coated.
- Bake: Roast the potatoes for 18 minutes. Turn on the broiler and bake for 3 minutes, or until they’re browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven. Taste for salt & pepper and adjust accordingly.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Love your Air Fryer? I love mine, too! And, these sweet potato wedges get nicely crisp and delicious in there! If you’d like to air fry your sweet potato wedges, just follow steps 1 and 2 above. Then, preheat to 400˚F, and air-fry them in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Overcrowded food tends to steam instead of getting crispy.
Tips for Success
Want to make sure your wedges have the ultimate flavor? I have some great tips here just to make sure that your sweet potato wedges turn out as amazing as possible. Bon appetit!
- Play with the Spices: If Italian spices aren’t your thing, feel free to play around with your seasoning mix! I love using all kinds of herbs and spices, with garlic powder and chili powder as the base.
- Use a Rack: To make sure the texture is as crispy as possible, place an oven-proof rack on the baking sheet. This allows air to circulate all around the wedges, creating a crispier texture.
- Make them Sweet: You can also coat these sweet potato fries with coconut oil, cinnamon and sugar, for a sweet and healthy snack that everyone always loves!
Not sure what to serve with crispy sweet potato wedges? To be honest, they pair extremely well with everything! Here are a few of my top favorite dishes to serve with these potatoes.
- Tacos: I think these satisfying potato wedges go perfectly alongside fresh and spicy tacos. Try my Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas Tacos for a dinner or lunch combo that’s out of this world!
- Burgers: I mean, of course! And for a spin on classic burgers, how about Easy Black Bean Burgers, instead? 🙌
- A Veggie Omelette: This Slow Cooker Veggie Omelette is super easy, and it pairs so nicely with the sweetness of the potato wedges.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Storing and reheating leftover sweet potato wedges is simple. Follow these instructions to make sure they keep well.
- To Refrigerate: Place cooled sweet potato wedges in food storage bags or shallow, airtight containers, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze: Place cooled wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze until frozen solid, and then transfer to freezer bags. Store in the freezer for up to one month.
- To Reheat: Place the wedges (frozen or refrigerated) on a baking sheet and reheat at 450°F until hot all the way through. Turn once or twice during cooking. Note that it will take longer for frozen wedges to come to temperature, about 20 minutes. Actual time depends on thickness.
Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place an oven rack on the baking sheet and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut potato lengthwise into 8 wedges and then, if you prefer smaller potatoes, you can cut those wedges in half, crosswise.
- Arrange potatoes on top of the oven rack; set aside.
- In a bowl combine olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper; mix to combine.
- Brush the seasoned oil mixture over the potatoes.
- Roast potatoes for 18 minutes. Turn on the broiler and bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until they're browned and crispy. Keep an eye on them because it's easy to burn when the broiler is on.
- Remove from oven.
- Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
Air Fryer Method:
- Preheat air fryer to 400˚F.
- Place seasoned potato wedges in air fryer basket - do not crowd the basket; cook in batches.
- Cook sweet potatoes for 10 minutes; turn potato wedges over and continue to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Repeat with next batch.
More Easy Side Dish Ideas
Craving more savory side dishes? These recipes are fool-proof and delicious as can be.