Chickpea Vegetable Soup – A comforting, hearty and healthy vegetable soup packed with chickpeas and loads of veggies. So simple to make, too! Just add everything to a soup pot and simmer!
It’s full blown soup weather and I love it!
To be perfectly honest? There ain’t no soup weather around here. I’m kinda sunbathing in paradise, and YOU are over there, freezing your fingers off. Nah.nah.nah.nah.nah! Ugh. So childish of me. 😉
So HEY, you guys! Happy Sunday! How’s it going? We’re doing pretty darn good out here on the BEACH, but I’m not going to rub that in your face. I got manners. What I AM gonna do is jump straight to this soup and tell you all the darn good things about it.
Every year around this time I start to lose my mind over soup and have about twenty, or more, on my to-make list. This coming week, as soon as we return from vacation, I’m thinking a bowl of Lasagna Soup will totally take care of my post-vacay depression.
HOW TO MAKE A CHICKPEA VEGETABLE SOUP
Last week I wanted to empty out the pantry and the fridge, and take care some of those few carrots and celery stalks left in the crisper drawers. Since vegetables alone in a soup is a bit bo-ring, I continued my search for lonely protein. In peaking through my 1,256 cans of everything, I reached for the Garbanzo Beans (A.K.A. Chickpeas) and finally, after about 1.6 years of their life spent in my pantry, I took care of them, too.
Looky here, though. There’s nothing fancy about this soup. I get it. Nothing fancy at all. Just an extremely flavorful, high protein, high fiber, low cholesterol, low sodium soup, all found inside this lovely pot.
Should you make this soup and slurp it up while sitting around in your cozy jammies tomorrow or the next day? Let’s just say I feel really good when I think about you doing that and me continuing to slurp on this Long Island Iced Tea inside of a big, blue, pool. Check ya later! mwah!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 carrots , sliced into thin rounds
- 4 celery stalks , thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable broth OR chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- shredded Parmesan cheese , for serving (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley , for serving (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper; stirring occasionally, cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes; season with turmeric.
- Add chicken broth and water; mix until well combined, turn up heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley.
WW SMART POINTS: 2
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy